Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SECURITY KEYWORDS BLOCKING not working as per manual

AllDueRespect
Aspirant

SECURITY KEYWORDS BLOCKING not working as per manual

Good day,

A bit frustrated these advertised features shown in manual for RBR750/RBS750 are not working. (unable to find drop-down model for reference but is WiFi mesh Kit RBK752, 1 router, 2 access points, acquired at Costco July 2020).

You setup keywords to block in ADVANCED>SECURITY>BLOCKED SITES but they don't work as stated in manual (RBK752_UM_EN.pdf)... examples states verbatim:

• Specify XXX to block http://www.badstuff.com/xxx.html.
• Specify .com if you want to allow only sites with domain suffixes such as .edu or .gov.
• Enter a period (.) to block all Internet browsing access.

So, it would seem to work like a wildcard (*XXX*) however it does not. While I do not expect this working on https (encrypted), it should work on a regular "http" call (tried using some of the usual suspect "words").

It should first pass through the router's filter (before even getting to DNS even with redirect to https).

Blocking is very inconsistent. In addition, sometimes results on some form of "This site can’t be reached (ip not found)" whereas in others a netgear-generated "Blocked by NetGear" but surely does not work as stated.

Called support, L1 checked with L2 and response was "this feature does not work so good and for that reason most don't use".

Instead, they recommend getting "ORBI CIRCLE" (some 9USD/mo) or use "ARMOR"  (some 70USD/yr).

Not what I would expect... shell out more money for features that are being documented as feature.

I am hoping to get response from support on this stated feature.

By the way, the features/admin of this router (as well as newer generations) are really dumbed-down... missing the basic parental controls, wifi blocking by schedule for specific devices/mac (time limits), usage per device, etc. Sacrificing "industry standard features" by moving to a mesh system. 

Message 1 of 6
jk4peace
Aspirant

Hi, I have the exact same problem.  I just purchased AX4200 Orbi Tri-band mesh wifi 6 system from Costco for $450 and used the keyword blocking feature but it is hit and miss.  The sytem allows most block sites to go through.  It is completely useless.  I also tried setting up webcontent filtering using OpenDNS (it is free and it worked well with my TP-Link router) but it is not working on Orbi :p(.  I am researching OpenDNS forum to figure out a way to get it to work on Netgear Router Orbi.  Good luck 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 6
BiGMERF
Apprentice

yea i got to agree.. for such a high priced item to not have a basic feature like for instance having access from my sons xbox turn off and on at a certain time is rediculous and really has me thinking of bringing mines back.. i mena you get that type of feature free on routers and mesh systems that are a fraction of the cost

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Users should make contact with NG support to express there concerns with what there seeing with security configurations. 

Thank you. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 6
Nnyan
Tutor

Funny I just went into try domain/url blocking and while the feature is there I can't get it to work most of the time.  I agree this is more then a bit disappointing.  BUT not a huge big deal, instead of going back and forth with support over the next few days (and I'm NOT putting back anything related to Circle on my network.  ARP spoofing causes more issues then it's worth) I just turned on Cloudflare Gateway on my CF account and in less then 5 mins viola!  All my domain/url blocking rules in place on my entire network (blocked at the DNS level).

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad thats working. Thank you for letting us know. 

@Nnyan wrote:

Funny I just went into try domain/url blocking and while the feature is there I can't get it to work most of the time.  I agree this is more then a bit disappointing.  BUT not a huge big deal, instead of going back and forth with support over the next few days (and I'm NOT putting back anything related to Circle on my network.  ARP spoofing causes more issues then it's worth) I just turned on Cloudflare Gateway on my CF account and in less then 5 mins viola!  All my domain/url blocking rules in place on my entire network (blocked at the DNS level).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7