Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Samsung TV cant join Orbi Wifi

Davidrouteracc
Aspirant

Samsung TV cant join Orbi Wifi

Orbi RBR750, 2 satellites (1 of them inches away from the TV) 

Firmware V4.6.9.11_2.3.5

While I did see other posts about this, they seem to be over 1 year old...

The Samsung TV can join other wfi networks, phone hotspots etc.

Every time I try to the Orbi it seems to accept the password but never connect/or get an IP.

I have tried manually assigning the IP and DNS but I still cannot...

In September 2022 is there no fix or work around for this?!?! 

Please advise

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Davidrouteracc
Aspirant

Re: Samsung TV cant join Orbi Wifi

Thanks @FURRYe38  @CrimpOn

I was finally able to connect.

Used the normal password with special characters, connecting to the satellite.

After I setup the static IP and configured it, I got the same error. I left the room and forgot to write down the error message. I returned and setup the same static IP and worked this time!

I restarted the TV a bunch of times, rescanned the wifi etc and seem to stay on and work with the static IP. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Turn OFF the RBS temporarily and see if the TV will connect to the RBR...

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

What security mode is set on the RBR? WPA2 and AES is recommended.

Contact the TV mfr for help and support information regarding there product. 

Message 2 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@Davidrouteracc wrote:

The Samsung TV can join other wfi networks, phone hotspots etc.

Every time I try to the Orbi it seems to accept the password but never connect/or get an IP.

I have tried manually assigning the IP and DNS but I still cannot

Which specific model of Samsung TV?

Are there any special characters or spaces in the WiFi password? (I find the process of entering things on a TV interface frustrating.)

Please describe manually assigning in more detail.  (on the TV itself? using the router LAN Setup table?)

So, "nothing happens" on the TV setup when the connection attempt is made?  (no error message, no confirmation, just "nothing"?)

Message 3 of 16
Davidrouteracc
Aspirant

Please note I previously used a Netgear Nighthawk router on the TV hasnt had a single issue for years.

Xfinity, Motorola MB7621. 

About 25 feet from the Router to the Satellite. Attached Devices Backhaul Status shows Good.

A couple(2) of other devices in the same room farther away from satellite the  than the TV connect with no issues.

I have tried to move the satellite closer and farther and it still couldnt connect.

channels are on Auto and 5Ghz was on 48. Wifi channel scanner showed 4 with the least ussed.I have tried disabling the ax mode for both.

yes using WPA2 and AES.

I will try to unplug the satellite and connect to the router tonight.

Thanks 

Message 4 of 16
Davidrouteracc
Aspirant

un65ks800dfxza

yes there are special characters. I did setup a hotspot from the phone with same password and the TV was able to connect to the hotspot.

I manually assigned an high IP to the TV. I do have a bunch of other IP reservations for other devices.

Sadly the TV just gives a very generic could not connect error.

For now plugging an ethernet cable from the satellite to the TV does work, but ideally I would want to use the wifi or at least know why it doesnt work.  

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try using a tempoary generic Password on the Orbi system just to see if the TV connects? Try password123. Change this back to your normal PW. 

Message 6 of 16
Davidrouteracc
Aspirant

ok I tried to turn off the satellites and simple password with no special characters. Same result. "Wireless Network Connection Failed"

IP Auto setting failed. Try the following to setup up the IP automatically, or set up the IP manually by selecting 'IP settings'

-Ensure DHCP server is enabled. 

I guess I will try to give it reservation and set it manually later tonight. 

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, if you temporarily disable or turn OFF WPA security, set to NONE, Does the TV connect then? 

Re-enable WPA after testing this. 

Message 8 of 16
Davidrouteracc
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38  @CrimpOn

I was finally able to connect.

Used the normal password with special characters, connecting to the satellite.

After I setup the static IP and configured it, I got the same error. I left the room and forgot to write down the error message. I returned and setup the same static IP and worked this time!

I restarted the TV a bunch of times, rescanned the wifi etc and seem to stay on and work with the static IP. 

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So you set a static IP address ON the TV? 

Message 10 of 16
Davidrouteracc
Aspirant

yes static on the TV and reservation on the router.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you remove the Reservation from the router for the TV? Normally you either set a static IP address ON devices or Reserver IP address for devices ON the router. Not both. 

Message 12 of 16
Davidrouteracc
Aspirant

I removed the reservation and left the static IP. The TV cant connect again. I added the reservation back and I still cant connect to the TV again.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Seems like there is mis-handling of the TVs mac and IP address process using normal DHCP handling standards. 

Will pass this onto NG for review.

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

Message 14 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

There is nothing inherently wrong with having both a static IP on the device and an IP reservation in the router.  It is simply redundant and extra effort.  With a Static IP, the device will never issue a DHCP request and thus the router will never respond to one.  The sole benefit might be eliminating the IP address from the router pool so it will not be assigned by mistake to some other device.  The typical practice is to separate assigned IPs from the DHCP 'pool', which makes reserving an IP more of a record-keeping reminder.  (Don't assign this IP to anything because the device is set to it.)

The IP address happens after the device completes the WiFi connection process.  It appear to me that this TV is not getting that far.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably a mis handling or mis-hand shaking not be corrrectly done either by the TV or between the TV and Orbi system. Debug logs could help here but since this is a abnormal condition, using both Static and Reserved IP configuration is helping, May have to go with it until either TV mfr or NG can figure it out. Otherwise normal Dymanic DCHP handling should work for the TV and seems to for all the other devices. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7