Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite insists in connecting to router instead of wired satellite

rdouma
Aspirant

Satellite insists in connecting to router instead of wired satellite

I have the following situation:

IMG_4047.PNG

The router is on the 1st floor. The Living and Dining satellites are on the ground level, so one floor lower. I have trouble having a decent backhaul when using everything wirelessly, so I just connected my Living to the router using an ethernet cable. As you can see in the network map, the Dining satellite insists on having a backhaul wirelessly to the router instead of connecting wirelessly to the wired Living satellite, which is much closer and should be able to connect at much better speeds. This scenario is not explained in the NetGear article: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Is what I want not possible? Does the fact that I connected one satellite via ethernet disable its ability to wirelessly extend from there on?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Satellite insists in connecting to router instead of wired satellite

It can daisy chain but it usually actually checks the connection itself to determine which will have better speed/stability. 

Sadly its not something the end user can change as its all negotiated within its own settings. 

Message 2 of 5
rdouma
Aspirant

When I have satellite Living as wireless it daisy chains. But when I improve the connection to Living using a cable it stops daisy chaining. So what I mean is, is that a bug? I cannot imagine it being a feature.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Not sure how it negotiates which it connects to as netgear doesn't advertise that. 

If you turn the broadcast power down to 75%, does it impact which it connects to? Maybe you have them to close together.

Message 4 of 5
rdouma
Aspirant

The satellites are ~12 meters apart in a clear line of sight...Closer is impractical. Concerning lowering the power: it seems there is one global setting for that. That seems like something I wouldn't want, since the range of the wifi is one of the reasons I'm trying to get this to work... (there are devices connected to both satellites, among others Ring cameras outside).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7