Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Security Enabled and Guest Network Enabled - but they're not!

tucsontico
Virtuoso

Security Enabled and Guest Network Enabled - but they're not!

Took the plunge and installed firmware V4.6.7.13_2.1.9 about 5 days ago. (System was NOT factory reset after installation.) All my internal tests showed it was stable, fast and appeared to be much better than the previous firmware. However, today I noticed my two RBSs are broadcasting the 2.4mHz band on channel 1 even though I manually set them to channel 6 on the RBR webpage. Additionally, the RBR webpage shows security is "Enabled" but I NEVER authorized that AND the guest network is broadcasting even though it is NOT enabled in the GUI.

I confirmed all of this via Apple's Airport Utility. (I know it is ancient but it actually sniffs WiFi and will give you SSIDs, MACs, frequency band, channels and RSSI values.) Anyone else seeing this anomaly? Any ideas how to fix this short of factory reset?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Because I don't like to give in to an inanimate object, I wanted to see what would happen if I set the RBR to the channel that the RBSs were broadcasting. I set the RBR 2.4 GHz band to channel 1. As soon as the RBR had applied that change, I checked the SSID broadcasts. Guess what? The guest network no longer is broadcasting! The RBR and RBS are now on the same page.

Doing WiFi tests at 6'-8' from the RBR I get 750-800 Mbps/40 Mbps (upload/download speed). Since I must daisy chain my sats, the first RBS gives 600-650 Mbps/40 Mbps. I'm content with that value. The second RBS gives 350-400 Mbps/30 Mbps and I'm good with that as well.

What I haven't done is to reset the RBR to channel 6 to see if the RBS will follow now that they're all on the same channel. Not willing to waste anymore time on this if the system stays stable. All of my lengthy (4+ hours) troubleshooting definitely points to firmware bugs in version 4.6.7.13. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router and RBS been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed. Also give checking the Guest Network SSID about 5-10 minutes...it should disappear. We've seen the Guest Network broadcast during bootup and does disappear a few minutes later. 

Message 2 of 12
tucsontico
Virtuoso

A power off cycle was performed per the procedure you laid out in another thread regarding installation of the latest firmware. These anomalies are new within the last 48 hours. They appeared without any GUI/app changes from me.

I finally discovered where to turn off Netgear Armor. However, the Guest Network continues to broadcast on 2.4 mHz, Channel 1 even though it shows as DISABLED in the GUI. The primary Network is broadcasting on Channel 6, 2.4 mHz. Both my RBSs show Channel 1 as the selected channel yet the RBR shows channel 6 as the selected 2.4mHz channel and a good sync/backhaul connection.

The 5 gHz band broadcast is ONLY on showing up on the primary network and on my selected channel (48) for the RBR and RBSs. 

Obviously there's a bug somewhere in this new firmware. I am loath to do a factory reset as I have over 40 IP address reservations and it takes a lot of time to reinitialize my system. I'll try another power cycle first.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Turn OFF the RBS and power OFF the RBR then back ON. Don't turn ON the RBS. See if the RBR has the guest network broadcasting...

Message 4 of 12
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Turned off entire system (MODEM, RBR & RBSs). Powered up the MODEM and allowed it to sync to ISP. Powered up RBR and allowed it to boot to normal config. Checked WiFi signals and RBR reports exactly as I have it configured, 2.4 gHz: Ch 1; 5 gHz: Ch 48. Guest network off and RSSI is strong (-30 dBm) within 8 ft of RBR.

After booting up first RBS, Guest Network is again broadcasting. Sat connection is intermittent. The RBR GUI reports good for a few minutes then drops the RBS connection. RBS shows flashing white light for awhile, then goes solid blue. Not working properly at all. 

Probably should do a factory reset of Sats then reinstall into system as "new".

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Give that a try first. 

Might re-load FW on to each RBS using there web pages. Allow the FW to take and come to ready. Then factory reset each one. When the front LED slowly pulsates WHITE, power them OFF. Then take one RBS and turn it ON and let it get ready and re-sync the RBS while near or in same room as the RBR. After it syncs and front LED turns BLUE, check the SSID broadcast...

Message 6 of 12
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Will try the reinstall firmware and RBS factory reset. Gonna take a bit as I have to move them from their current positions, etc. Let you know what happens.

Message 7 of 12
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Reinstalled firmware V4.6.7.13 on both RBSs. Did factory reset. After booting up only 1 sat, the guest network still appears and the 2.4 gHz channel is still wrong (on Ch 1 vs 6). I resynced the RBS to the RBR and get same result. Powered down that sat and booted the second one. Same issues. Guest network still broadcasting and wrong 2.4 gHz channel. The guest network is ONLY being broadcast when the sats are powered on. Since both sats exhibit the same behavior when powered on–separately or together–it MUST be a firmware bug. 

At a loss for what to do next. I purchased this system June 2021 to replace an RBK53, so out of warranty and return options. Probably gonna suck up the cost and move to another manufacturer. 😫

Message 8 of 12
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Because I don't like to give in to an inanimate object, I wanted to see what would happen if I set the RBR to the channel that the RBSs were broadcasting. I set the RBR 2.4 GHz band to channel 1. As soon as the RBR had applied that change, I checked the SSID broadcasts. Guess what? The guest network no longer is broadcasting! The RBR and RBS are now on the same page.

Doing WiFi tests at 6'-8' from the RBR I get 750-800 Mbps/40 Mbps (upload/download speed). Since I must daisy chain my sats, the first RBS gives 600-650 Mbps/40 Mbps. I'm content with that value. The second RBS gives 350-400 Mbps/30 Mbps and I'm good with that as well.

What I haven't done is to reset the RBR to channel 6 to see if the RBS will follow now that they're all on the same channel. Not willing to waste anymore time on this if the system stays stable. All of my lengthy (4+ hours) troubleshooting definitely points to firmware bugs in version 4.6.7.13. 

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Well it would be only a quick test to see if you changed channels on the RBR to 6 or 11, if the RBS followed. If not, then change the RBR back to channel 1. 

I'll try this on my 8 series later this evening and see. I've been using mostly channel 1 and 40 on mine since my next door neighbor has an orbi system and they run channel 6. I'll see if this tracks on mine...If you can try it on your if you get 10 minutes to spare. If not no worries. 

Message 10 of 12
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I switched 2.4 GHz channels on the RBR from 1 to 6. The RBSs followed and show Channel 6. The Guest Network did NOT start broadcasting–yay!  I prefer to stay on Channel 6 as my scan shows a few neighbors on Channel 1. (Albeit, they are pretty low RSSI signals: -90 to-95 dBm.)

I'm going to take this as a "win". The system has been stable now for 48 hours with no dropouts. The WiFi speeds are close to expected and acceptable. Going to make a backup config file in case of future hiccups. Thanks for your help.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok sounds like the initial sync on the RBS is getting messed up for some reason if the RBR is set for channel 6. Seems odd for sure. Glad setting channel 1, syncing the RBS, then after they sync, they migrate to channel 6 works. Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7