Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up Orbi RBK853 in Router Mode with BT FTTP

tfraser91
Aspirant

Setting up Orbi RBK853 in Router Mode with BT FTTP

Hi All,

I currently have my BT FTTP going into my BT Router and then an ethernet cable going from the BT Router to the Orbi (in AP Mode) however, I keep encountering issues with this setup and am wondering if it would make things better if it was in Router Mode and did away with the BT Router entirely and if this is even possible however, I don't want to make things worse. 

Is it simply a case of me performing the following: (?)

Changing the cable to go directly into the Orbi
Switching off the BT Router
Going into the Orbi Admin webpage, amending to Router Mode

Going into IPV6 settings and entering in 'PPPoE' credentials which are supposedly generic for BT such as:

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: BT

Has anyone done this recently? Does it work? Let me know your thoughts please and if there are any limitations such as 'this will very much mess up your Sky Q system or SmartHome systems etc' or whether this is and has always been the superior approach and will be the answer to all of my problems 😄 

Look forward to hearing from you. 

Cheers, 

Tom

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Setting up Orbi RBK853 in Router Mode with BT FTTP

Ask the ISP first if this is a supported option to remove there router. IF so it may work. 

Message 2 of 4
tfraser91
Aspirant

I called BT this morning and they said to get in touch with NETGEAR and ask them! No-one wants to advise it would seem but I could try calling back...

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Why would they direct you to NG when it's THERE system and THERE HW and services. They should know if there router is needed or not. NG will not have this information. 

Otherwise, Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7