Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up an Orbi AX6000 (RBK853)

gpatterson
Aspirant

Setting up an Orbi AX6000 (RBK853)

I have recently purchased an AX6000 three pack and I am awating delivery. I have a question about set up. I have house that is four levels which is  about 6,000 square feet. Currently  my modem is on the 2nd floor ( counting the basement as a 1st floor) I am thinking about moving my modem into the basement where the cable connection (RCN) comes in for the internet. My question is can I set my modem ( CM1000 ) so that I can run a switch from the modem to each ethernet port for the differnt rooms in the house and then from those ports set up the AX6000 system?  Putting the AX6000 router on one floor and the satelites on different flloors. I wouild only activate the ports where I would look to set of each of the AX6000's. 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

it needs to go:

modem----->router-------->switch/satellites. 

And its best to centrally locate the router unless you plan on the satellites being hardwired in. If thats the case, then you can space them however works best for you. 

Just make sure the switch comes after the router, not before. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

it needs to go:

modem----->router-------->switch/satellites. 

And its best to centrally locate the router unless you plan on the satellites being hardwired in. If thats the case, then you can space them however works best for you. 

Just make sure the switch comes after the router, not before. 

Message 2 of 5
gpatterson
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. That would mean I would have to put the shiney new AX6000 (router) down the basement 🙂  If I activated a port in the home office I would need to add another spiltter to connect all the devices. The plan is to hard wire the other two satellites. 

In your opiioin do you think the gains are worth going  this route to create the hard wired connections ? And if so what type / brand switch do you reccommend? 

Message 3 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

I have a similar setup to what you are speaking of.... (see equipment listed below).    A simple Netgear switch works fine... stay away from anything "green" or managed...

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I highly recommend not putting the RBR router in the basement. Basements are not recommended places for wifi routers. Concrete and steel in the surrounding basement and foundation will impact wifi signals and cause problems. Keep the main base router on the 2nd or main floor of ths home, or higher. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@gpatterson wrote:

I have recently purchased an AX6000 three pack and I am awating delivery. I have a question about set up. I have house that is four levels which is  about 6,000 square feet. Currently  my modem is on the 2nd floor ( counting the basement as a 1st floor) I am thinking about moving my modem into the basement where the cable connection (RCN) comes in for the internet. My question is can I set my modem ( CM1000 ) so that I can run a switch from the modem to each ethernet port for the differnt rooms in the house and then from those ports set up the AX6000 system?  Putting the AX6000 router on one floor and the satelites on different flloors. I wouild only activate the ports where I would look to set of each of the AX6000's. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7