Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Short temporary outage daily - AX4200

NewbieOrbiUser
Aspirant

Short temporary outage daily - AX4200

I recently purchased, installed, and configured my new Orbi AX4200 mesh network (with a router and one satellite node).  This is one of Netgear's newer Orbi WiFi 6 products.  On the plus side, I'm getting great coverage around my home and achieving speeds equal to what I pay Spectrum for (100Mbps down, about 15 up).  I hadn't been able to achieve those speeds consistently with my last router.  My concern is that about once or twice a day, the internet becomes unstable or goes out for 2-3 minutes, and then corrects itself.  Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but in this COVID work remote current day, I have video conference calls all day and even 2-3 minutes can be very disruptive for me.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  If so, any advice on how to correct it?  When I first installed the system, I updated the firmware to the latest version, etc.  Any thoughts or advice?  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Short temporary outage daily - AX4200

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 4
NewbieOrbiUser
Aspirant

Thanks for your willingness to help.  Here is the information you requested:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Firmware Version
V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I use an Arris TC1682 modem which was provided by my ISP, which is Spectrum (formerly Brighthouse).

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

I have a one story home that is shaped like an "L" with the router positioned at the vertex of the "L" and the satellite node placed in the middle of the long side of the "L".  I've walked around my entire house running speed tests and signal strength tests using the Orbi phone app used for network administration purposes.  I'm getting strong signals and speeds everywhere I walk.  Certainly much stronger than when I had a single router with no additional nodes.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I don't know the exact distance , but I followed the instructions exactly when placing/positioning/testing where my satellite node would go in my home.  Within the "Network Map" portion of the app, it shows the router and satellite node as "green" status.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Right now, 2.4GH is set to "Auto" and 5GH is set to "48".

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

I don't have neighbors nearby.  On my computer, I can pick up a faint signal from one of my neighbors, but I suspect that their WiFi is not near enough to really interfere with mine, as I can't even see their WiFi when I'm using other devices (e.g., tablet, phone, etc.).

Thanks again for your willingness to help me out!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Is wired connections also dropping when this happens? 

Possible issue at the ISP modem.

Have you powered OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 1 minute then back on? 

Try setting a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on the RBR.

Has a factory reset been performed since last FW update? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7