Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I change channel?

MB_Love
Apprentice

Should I change channel?

I am wondering if it’s best to select your own channels or just stick with auto setting? While I was in front bedroom I realized we pick up a lot of the neighbors networks and not sure if this could be slowing my network down. Also, how do I chose best channel? I’m assuming once I find optimal channel I just go to OrbiLogin page and undo auto and select my own? Thanks !
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

The problem with selecting your own is if your neighbors wifi is on auto and it switches around, it could end up causing more interference. I usually set mine on auto unless I know my neighbors have set their channel with a set channel and not auto. 

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

2.4Ghz should only be channels 1, 6, or 11.

5Ghz, I've noticed the lower channels perform better. I have mine set to channel 48. You can download an app on your phone to do a scan and see what channels are most popular in your area. Pick a channel that isn't being used a lot. 

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

5Ghz, I've noticed the lower channels perform better. I have mine set to channel 48. 

Probably because the lower 5 GHz channels are power restricted, and showing less bars on the mobile .. making them less "attractive" to select manually. 

Message 4 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@schumaku wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

5Ghz, I've noticed the lower channels perform better. I have mine set to channel 48. 

Probably because the lower 5 GHz channels are power restricted, and showing less bars on the mobile .. making them less "attractive" to select manually. 

I didn't know that about 5Ghz channels, thanks for calling it out!  https://metis.fi/en/2018/02/5ghz-channels/

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7