Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Simple (cheap) extension for RBK852 wifi network?

daanjj
Aspirant

Simple (cheap) extension for RBK852 wifi network?

Hi! I am having an RBK852 network (RBR850 router + 1 RBS850 satellite) since almost a year now - and am extremely happy with it.

However, in my bathroom, despite the current setup of the router & satellite, the wifi strength is weak (RRSI is around -69). This recently became a problem as I now want to switch the main light using HomeKit, using a Homekit-compatible wall switch. This switch connects on the 2.4GHz network and is unfortunately sometimes failing to work due to momentary loss of wifi signal.

So I am looking for an alternative, cheap way to (locally) extend the 2.4GHz signal to this room. It is the only place in my house with such a weak 2.4Ghz signal. I know I can add another RBS850 but that will be a lot of overkill, in money as well as in performance.

Any recommendations for a suitable, low cost Netgear (or alternative brand) satellite or AP? 

I still might have some older AP's, like an Apple Airport Extreme, laying around, could I use one of these non-mesh, more simple 2.4GHz devices?

NB: because of Homekit, I need all devices on the same Wifi network.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

You might be able to cover the area by moving the RBS out a bit farther. Depending upon building material and distance, the RBS can be placed out to about 40-50 feet depending. 

If not, try a EX7500. These work with Orbi AX system though they are not AX supporting and would be just a extender only. 

Message 2 of 6
daanjj
Aspirant

Thanks Furrye38!

My home is approx 450 m2 -> 4.900 sq feet. The router is one floor down from the bathroom with the weak signal, so vertical maybe 10-12 ft away, and horizontally 5ft - but on the other side of a brick wall with electric wires running through it. Like the bathroom, it is in the front of the house.

The satellite is also one floor down from the bathroom, close to the ceiling so maybe 5 ft vertical but 15 ft horizontal, with again some walls in between. It is in the back of the house.

Moving either the router or the satellite to a different position is not really an option, as I need the Wifi signal to extend both to the front yard and the back yard, and the satellite near the ceiling actually is right under my office so provides excellent Wifi6 in my office.

I indeed am looking for a down-to-earth wifi extender or repeater but don't know what would be compatible with the RBK850 set. The EX7500 indeed is cheaper but still more than €100. Acytually, the cheapest range extender on the Netgear site is the EAX15-100PES Wifi6 (!) extender that costs €99 but might be too new to order at this moment in time. Or the EX7300 that is on stock for €89. But I actually am hoping to be able  to use a way cheaper AP...

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd try to move the RBS farther away as a test. If not, if brick is in the wall, then you may need a extender then. 

Message 4 of 6
daanjj
Aspirant

And what about a simple EX3700? That one costs only €32 which is a much better price point...
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't tried on of those. Possible it may work. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7