Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Simplest way to swapout a AX4200 for RBS20 keeping names and passwords

lagenour
Follower

Simplest way to swapout a AX4200 for RBS20 keeping names and passwords

Getting ready to swapout a AX4200 to replace RBS20 keeping names and passwords intact.

Seems I saw a procedure somewhere to do this simply.

I'm not an admin, just an old geezer looking for better coverage.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Follow the installation Guide. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk752.aspx#docs

We presume you mean the Orbi RBK7 series system?

You can set up the new system using Orbi mobile app on a phone or pad or recommended setup would be to use a wired Pc and web browser. You can use same SSID name and password when presented with this option during the setup routine.

Message 2 of 4
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Follow the installation Guide. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk752.aspx#docs

We presume you mean the Orbi RBK7 series system?

You can set up the new system using Orbi mobile app on a phone or pad or recommended setup would be to use a wired Pc and web browser. You can use same SSID name and password when presented with this option during the setup routine.

As @FURRYe38 mentioned, you can use the same SSID name and password as on your original Orbi device.

Most times, devices will connect with no issues; however, I have found that on occasion, I may need to turn on and turn off a device to get it to connect back fully.   Some devices remember not only SSID and Password, but also the MAC ID of the device it connected to.   So turning off/on that device allows it to reconnect correctly.   A few of the devices I have had to do this with are Netgear Meural devices and some GE wall switches.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@lagenour wrote:

Getting ready to swapout a AX4200 to replace RBS20 keeping names and passwords intact.

Seems I saw a procedure somewhere to do this simply.

There is some ambiguity in the question.  The standard practice when replacing one WiFi system with another is to give the new system exactly the same WiFi name (SSID) and password as the old.  (I have done this for over 15 years through countless systems.)  That way, all of the WiFi devices will detect the new WiFi and connect automatically.

Any other configuration will be lost and have to be entered manually as there is no method to "save" the configuration from one model of router and reload it on another.  For example, I like to give my devices "names" that are more descriptive (Living Room Speaker, Mom's Printer, etc. etc.)  I also like to assign specific IP addresses to devices.  I also have OpenVPN and DDNS configured on the router, and have replaced the Spectrum DNS servers with CloudFlare and Google DNS. All of that information must be reentered.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7