Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Orbie rbk 852 speeds

Jboku
Follower

Slow Orbie rbk 852 speeds

Recently I upgraded to gigabit internet using Frontier/FIOS so I decided to upgrade my network too with the NETGEAR - Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System. On paper my setup should be great, but it's underperforming what I had previously which was just my ISP router / modem combo at 400mbits.

**What I believe is the best way to utilize the Firewalla and Orbis:**

1. Firewalla Gold setup as the router
2. My Frontier Mode/Router just to act as a the modem
3. My Orbi's for WiFi

**Current Setup:**
My setup is Wall to -> Modem -> Modem LAN -> Firewalla Gold WAN -> Firewalla Gold LAN -> ORBI WAN

* I have my orbis set to AP mode ([https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point](https://kb...))
* I have my Modem/Router combo from Frontier set to "Transparent Bridging"
* Firewalla set to "Router mode"

**Issues / Questions:**
After a couple hours of toiling around I have it working but I still have a couple of issues:

* Speeds are slower than before (avg 200-300mbit) even when right next to the ORBIs.
* I was getting \~400 mbits on with the standard modem/wifi combo on the second floor of my house (modem/router was on the first floor)
* Running a speed test on the ORBI itself it gets 900+ up and down consistently
* Looking in my network status settings on my windows box it says my Link Speed is 649/649 but if I run a speed test it barely gets around 300.
* I've tried using my Mac laptop, Windows PC, and android
* Is there a way to know which ORBI I am connecting to and default it to a specific ORBI?
* Currently my desktop is on wifi and I see my signal go anywhere from 100 to 700 which is wildly inconsistent for a device that never moves and I am only about 10-15 feet away from my upstairs Orbi.

So how how come my speeds are SLOWER than when I had 400 mbit internet with the isp router/modem than with these orbis ?!?

Thanks for your help in advance :D.
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow Orbie rbk 852 speeds

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What are speeds if you test with a wired connection to the back of the RBR? 

What is the brand and model# of the wifi adapter in this PC? 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7