Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow Speed Issues with Orbi RBR750

J00101101001001
Aspirant

Slow Speed Issues with Orbi RBR750

I am having speed issues with my Orbi RBR750. I have a Arris SB8200 modem connected to it using link aggregation. My speed package through Xfinity is 1.2gbps.

Speed Test Details:

- When performing a speed test directly from the Orbi app(modem to router speed) I am getting a result of any where between 1.3gbps and 1.4gbps. So the speed to the router is great.

- When performing a speed test hardwired directly from the router to a MacBook Pro, I am seeing speeds close to 900mbps. The cable I used was fairly long and I'm not sure if it is cat5e or cat6, so this might be the reason for the drop off for hardwired.

- When performing a speed test wirelessly from multiple devices(phone, MacBook Pro, PC) from about a distance of 15 feet from the RBR750 router, I get speeds measured at around 300mbps to 350mbps.

- When performing a speed test wirelessly from my phone, which supports gigabit speeds, standing right next to the RBR750 router, I get speeds measured at around 400mbps.

Things I have tried:

- Updated to the latest firmware(V3.2.17.12_1.4.14). Nothing changed.

- Turned off 2.4G allowing only 5G to be turned on. Nothing changed.

- Turned off the guest network. Speed increased about 50mbps.

- Disabled Traffic Metter, Remote Management, and 20/40Mhz coexistance. Nothing changed.

- Changed out the ethernet cables running from the modern to the router(both cables used for link aggregation are cat6). Nothing changed.

It seems to me that the router is the actual issue, since I am getting tested speeds from the modem to the router between 1.3gbps and 1.4gbps. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Model: RBR750

Firmware: V3.2.17.12_1.4.14

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What your seeing is expected. Near 900Mpbs will be to spec for your wired Mac Book if it's using a 1000Mbps connection rate, unless you get a 2.5 or 5Gb USB-C to Ethernet adapter, then you may need more speeds. 

For your iphone and wireless devices, these are limited by there antenna design. Most iphones and pads are 2x2 in design. So these will cap out at around 400-500Mbps. Even on AX wifi. Devices with 4x4 antenna designs will see higher speeds. Just depends on there design and support. 

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

A couple things. The RBR750 has wan link aggregation. But that allows the router to get >1gig speeds from the modem. 

If if you're using wan port aggregation, you don't have the ability to lan port aggregate as well. So your hardwired devices won't hit >1gig. 

In terms of wireless, alot depends on your device. You say your phone is "capable of gigabit". What phone is it? As well as what link speed are you connecting at? (hint, link speed is not the same as actual thoroughput) 

Are you using 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 Does the RBR750 have 2.5/5g port? I thought that version was limited to 1gig/port aggregation? 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You are correct, the 7 series only has 1Gb ports. the 8 series has a 2.5Gb WAN port. 

Message 5 of 8
J00101101001001
Aspirant

My phone is a Gallaxy Note 10+ 5G. I checked the link speed and it says 1.0 Gbps. I then performed a speed test and it hovers around 400 Mbps.

Message 6 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@J00101101001001 wrote:

My phone is a Gallaxy Note 10+ 5G. I checked the link speed and it says 1.0 Gbps. I then performed a speed test and it hovers around 400 Mbps.

Link speed is the theoretical maximum, not what you're actually transmitting.  Your actual speed will vary depending upon the wireless connection (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz AC, 5Ghz AX, etc.). 

For general such speed diagnosis steps see the community FAQ: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-....  At the bottom are some references link this one about actual wireless speeds: https://kb.netgear.com/31211/At-what-speed-and-bandwidth-can-my-Orbi-system-transmit-data

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats going to be around the going rate for phones and pads connected to AX WiFi due to the antenna limitation. 

@J00101101001001 wrote:

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7