Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow speed on RBS750

KD4200
Aspirant

Slow speed on RBS750

Hello,

Im experiencing slow speeds when connected via cat6 to my RBS750. This satellite is wirelessly connected to the RBR750. I have went though talking to support and even exchanging the units as they (support) deemed them as "defective". I am only able to get around 200-230mbps (on the "defective" units and the current units). Wireless devices connected to the RBS750 such as my iPhone 7 pull faster speeds (260-280mbps), my wifes iPhone 11 Pro max is even faster at 300+mbps. I have changed settings such as transmission power, CTS/RTS, preamble, etc. Regardless of the setup - i can never get faster speeds then stated above with devices connected via ethernet to the RBS750. Also, I have a 2018 iMac 21" connected via WiFi to the RBS750 and that is getting the same speed as the one connected via ethernet. Furthermore, to make sure the RBR was centrally located I personally made a cat6 drop in my home directly from the ONT. Tried multiple cat6/cat5e cables and ethernet dongles. Results are always the same.

Current setup is

Fios ONT (cat6) -> RBR750 -> (wireless) RBS750

CTS/RTS: 2347

Transmission control: 50% (Tried lowering transmission control thinking that the RBR and RBS signals were conflicting but that didnt do anything)

unchecked Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence

Premable: Short

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow speed on RBS750

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 11
KD4200
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Black box fios ONT. not sure if the specific model but it is the newer kind of ont.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

2100sqft

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Approx. 25ft. RBS is upstairs and the RBR is downstairs.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

2.4 channel 11 (2 other people on this channel)
5 channel 40 (no one is on this channel in my neighborhood).

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

6 that I can see through WiFi analyzer but their signal strength is weak.
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So turning OFF the RBS, what are you wired and wireless speeds with your devices connected at the RBR? 

What CTS value is on the RBR? 

25feet is a bit too close. 30 feet or more between the RBR and RBS is recommended. 

Do you have any AX mode supporting devices? 

Message 4 of 11
KD4200
Aspirant

I will try turning off the RBS and checking WiFi speeds with the RBR when I get home.

As for the router and satellite being too close, I lowered the transmission control to 50%.

All values above are current configurations for the router. NG doesn’t allow for configurations of the satellites. CTS is 2347.
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok keep us posted.

Yes, only configurations are maded on the RBR. Any changes are pushed to the RBS by the RBR where needed. 

Message 6 of 11
KD4200
Aspirant

Currently connected to just the RBR via wifi to a MacBook Pro 2020 with the satellite disconencted and only getting 20mbps down. I even turned the transmission control to 100% from 50% but still didnt help.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Going to have you make contact with @Christian_R and ask him for access to the 7 series beta and see if this helps any. Kind of last resort and someting to try. I'm kinda leary of have you try the new v4 FW as I'm not sure if this will help and one thing, users can't seem to revert back from v4 to v3 FW  so rather not have you try this right now. If you can get the beta applied and see if anything changes. If not, then I would bet that the RBR is faulty and needs to be RMAd. Something to open a support ticket on anyways and get and going. 

Message 8 of 11
KD4200
Aspirant

Honestly, Im having a hard time believing this yet another faulty Orbi. I dont  know - just seems *weird* to get two duds in a row. Not looking forward to running the same routine of turning off and turning on my Orbi's with support again. I guess ill just live with it at this point. First world problems.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand man. I'm hoping new FW may change. Gotta try it. 

Could be someting in your envrionment as well. Happens if you see this across two same model systems. 

Message 10 of 11
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @KD4200

We'd love to give a hand and look into your case further. Please send me a private message with the case number so we can pull up your records and check what else can be done to have this issue resolved.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7