Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow speeds registering on RBR750

Mwerner521
Aspirant

Slow speeds registering on RBR750

I have Xfinity 1.2gbps service with their XB7 gateway. I use the gateway in bridge mode and the Orbi RBR750 as the router with an RBS750 as a satellite. Using the Xfi app I’m registering consistently at 1.3 gbps. I’m not great with this stuff but I can’t seem to figure out why all of the sudden I’m only getting between 600-700 mbps registering at my RBR750. If I hardwire a device to the XB7, I get over 1gbps. If I hardwire the same device to the RBR, I get between 600-700 mbps. The gateway and router are about 5 feet from each other hardwired with a short cable. This is a new issue as of 08/16/21. Before that the speeds were fine. I don’t remember if I had just done a firmware update or anything like that.
Message 1 of 13
Mwerner521
Aspirant

Re: Slow speeds registering on RBR750

Here’s speed to the modem
Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Don't use Orbi app to speed test. There is a known problem with the Orbi app and RBRs on board speed test giving inaccurate results on v4 FW. Use a wired PC connected to the RBR and speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app and compare results

Message 3 of 13
Mwerner521
Aspirant

Unfortunately I’ve done that using a pc and Xbox series x to the XB7 gateway wired and got speeds at or above 1 gbps, while those same 2 devices wired to the RBR750 only get 600-700 mbps.
Message 4 of 13
Mwerner521
Aspirant

The series x has a built in speed test and on the PC I used the ookla app as I read that in a previous thread.
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed on the RBR? 

Is Armor enabled? 

Message 6 of 13
Mwerner521
Aspirant

Factory reset was done last night and armor is activated
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

v4 version of FW loaded? 

Message 8 of 13
Mwerner521
Aspirant

Yeah I attached a photo of the firmware version
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 13
Foxes2015
Aspirant

I have this exact same issue. I’m using CM1000v2 modem and get 1GB speed direct to the modem but when the Orbi is connected both hardwired and WiFi speeds max at 600-700Mbps -
Is the feeling here that this is firmware related rather than hardware.? I’m still just in warranty period so want to get it replaced before it’s too late if there’s not a firmware fix coming.

Factory resets, new cables etc aren’t the fix. Router in access point I doubt is going to be the fix either as I’m using the Netgear modem and Orbi router combo and seeing exactly the same results. Hard to put a specific date on it but seems like this might have started late May early June time. Oddly it only seems to have been getting worse lately. I get the same results with the Orbi built in speed tests and using Ookla app and websites.
Message 11 of 13
Mwerner521
Aspirant

Just tried AP mode on RBR and put gateway in regular router mode and have the same issue. No changes at all. I’m at a loss at this point. I don’t get what could have changed. Everything was fine until 08/16.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you give this a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

@Mwerner521 wrote:
Just tried AP mode on RBR and put gateway in regular router mode and have the same issue. No changes at all. I’m at a loss at this point. I don’t get what could have changed. Everything was fine until 08/16.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7