Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow wifi with RBR350 and satellites

theclawfr
Aspirant

Slow wifi with RBR350 and satellites

Hi all

I've got the following strange behaviour on my Orbi Wifi 6 router. It's and RBR350 with 2 sattellites.

My internet access is more or less 1Gb/s, for LAN. The wifi close to the ISP router is about half that, usually 450-550 Mb/s.

I've got one of my ISP's WIFI6 satellite upstairs and the wifi there is about half of that again (thick walls, old house), so about 250K.

So that's plenty enough to stream, play, etc... but I replaced all this with Orbis. I removed the wifi from my ISP router which, as expected, deactivated the ISP's satelite.

I renamed the Orbi wifi to the old SSID and put the same password. So far so good, all my stuff reconneted flawlessly, including the Home Assistant smart home stuff.

Now, the weird part:

The wifi rate I get, is nowhere near what Orbi advertises. Because the LAN speed is 1Gb, I'd expect something similar fot the Orbi wifi, but it's more close to what I normally get, slightly better (350 Mb close to my TV on the laptop, 6 meters away from the router, 2 meters away from the satellite 1; the Xbox console gets 220 Mb). Upstairs, close to Sat 2, I get about 350-400mb, which is also slightly better than with the ISP Wifi 6 Sat (used to be 250 Mb). In the bedroom, like 5 meters away, seperated by a thick wall but there's an opening in it, It's down to 250 Mb.

So is this normal ? I just bought them so I'm really considering sending them back and just buying a regular Wifi6 satelitte whoch will give me 250 Mb upstairs anyway.

So OK, maybe not 1 Gb wifi, but 800 Mb would be nice.

Thanks !
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow wifi with RBR350 and satellites

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What wifi devices are you using to speed test? 

If your seeing 400-500Mpbs on wifi, this would be accurate for most devices based on there antenna MIMO support and design. 2x2 devices usually max out at around those speeds on 5Ghz. if you have a 4x4 MIMO device, then you could seen near 900Mpbs. However checking the specs on the 3 series sysetm, Orbi AX1800 Router (600 + 1200Mbps)< these are connection rates only between the RBR and wifi devices. So you probably won't see much near 900Mpbs. 

"My internet access is more or less 1Gb/s, for LAN."< Yes, for LAN so this means for wired ethernet devices that support 1000Mpbs connection rate will see near 900Mpbs. This doesn't apply for the wireless LAN. 

Message 2 of 4
theclawfr
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

So here's another bit of evidence: my Mac, connected with Ethernet to my ISP router, gets 1 Gb. When I move it upstairs and hooks it to the Ethernet port of one of the satelittes, it gets 500 Mb. So if the wifi between the Orbi devices is supposed to go 1Gb+ why is the Ethernet from the satelitte only 500 Gb ?

The firmware version of the router is 4.4.0.10_2.10.63

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You may or may not need near 900Mb at the RBS as there is over head, distance between the RBR and RBS, some signal noise and depending on signal strength, and building materials that can impact signals between the RBR and RBS, will all impact speed and performance of the RBS. Nature of wireless. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7