Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slower than advertised speeds AX4200?

artsoto23
Aspirant

Slower than advertised speeds AX4200?

Hello, Newbie here, I just bought this ax4200 RBR750, and was wondering why my speed is not where it should be, I have hooked up directly to my fiber box, not a modem, (I was told) this fiber box does not have a coax connection to install a modem, just ethernet cord to router, even with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I can't break 290 mbps down on wifi, I was getting that with my isp supplied router, any ideas? I have one satellite 15 ft away, I really want to give this router a shot, since I have heard good things about it, thanks
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What Speeds up and down do you pay for from your ISP?

15 feet between the RBR abd RBS is too close.  30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

I've seen speeds around 600-700Mpbs with my 12Max on a 1Gb ISP line. Thats about the higher limit for these models I believe. 

Message 2 of 12
artsoto23
Aspirant

V3.2.16.22, I'm paying for 1 gig up/down, DTC communications is my isp provider, the "fiber box" has no info on it, literally a black box with lights in front of it, and ethernet ports in back of it, of which I have my orbi router connected to it via ethernet
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you getting near 900Mpbps at the RBR with a PC or laptop? 

Turn OFF the RBS and connect the iphone to the RBR. Speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app on the phone. 

Also I mis-spoke about iphone speeds, They will max agout at around 400-500Mpbs, not 600-700. This is due to the antenna configuration on the iphones. 2x2. IF they supported 4x4, then the speeds would be higher. 

Here is a test with my Iphone 12 Max and RBR 850:

IMG_0041.PNG

Message 4 of 12
artsoto23
Aspirant

Hard wire to my MacBook, I'm getting 850 down 970 up, what is rbr and RBS, like I said newbie here
Message 5 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@artsoto23 wrote:
Hard wire to my MacBook, I'm getting 850 down 970 up, what is rbr and RBS, like I said newbie here

RBR is the router, RBS are the satellites.

Are your satellites wired or wireless?
Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.
If wired, what cable size was used, as wrong size can cause slow speed.

Message 6 of 12
artsoto23
Aspirant

Satellite is wireless, I don't even get all those options when I log into my router, like wmm, mumimo and other stuff
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Those options are not seen on Orbi AX systems. There automatic. 

Message 8 of 12
artsoto23
Aspirant

I just did a speed test, with wifi 5 device like my ipad pro and work iPhone 7 plus, I'm getting the same speed with these devices than my iphone 11 and 12 pro max, which are wifi 6, therefore I'm not seeing a difference, could the wifi 6 not be working?
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You might upgrade the system to v12 and if you see some improvement. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR750-RBS750-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Load the RBS first then RBR lastly. I would factory reset then setup from scratch. I'd speed test with the RBS off line or sync them later after speed testing.

Message 10 of 12
artsoto23
Aspirant

I just updated the firmware to v 12, same speeds, I was on chat support and phone for a couple hours, same thing, speeds are not changing, now what I did was I signed up for a free trial for VPN, ran a speedtest with it, sure enough, almost 200 more mbps connecting to a faster server, now I heard that Netgear has their own VPN, have you tried it?
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you may have a faulty system. Sometihng to ask NG support about an RMA. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7