Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Solid Magenta Light on RBR850 with no Internet

TheBlair21
Tutor

Solid Magenta Light on RBR850 with no Internet

Hey, everyone

I am losing internet, and then I am finding a solid magenta light on my router only, no light on the satellite. I have the RBR850 (Orbi WIFI 6 with one satellite). My modem appears to be fine during all of this, all of the lights are functioning as normal. This is a new problem, happening frequently over the past few days. When I reset everything (powercycle the system) internet returns. So turning it off and back on works every time, but I am trying to figure out what the issue is so it doesn't keep happening. I appreciate all of your help!

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable in between the modem/ONT and RBR. CAT6 is recommended.

Message 2 of 14
TheBlair21
Tutor

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

-V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

-Using my own Modem - Netgear CM1000

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

-Yes, I have had to powercycle everything several times. Three times last night and twice today, already. Turn off the Modem, Router, and Satellite. I let them sit. Then turn on the Modem until it completes its cycle. Then turn on the Router, followed by the Satellite. It works each time, but seemingly at random intervals, I notice there is no longer internet through the network and I find the Router with a Magenta light.

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable in between the modem/ONT and RBR. CAT6 is recommended.

-Using a Cat6 cable.

-I should note, nothing has changed. This began seemingly out of the blue. Same Modem, cables, Satellite position. No changes to my knowledge, and I have not had issues like this before. Internet has always been strong and fast. I believe the firmware updates on its own, so I am curious if it has something to do with that. However, my scope of knowledge in networking is a bit limited.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

One indiacation is that when the RBR is PINK, there is a problem at the modem. IF this came out of the blue and just started, possible ISP signal issue or modem issue. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

How long have you had the Orbi updated on v16? 

Message 4 of 14
TheBlair21
Tutor

Thanks for the quick responses!

The ISP did a check, and from what they are seeing, everything looks fine. I should note, in the past if there has been a dropped signal, once the Modem refreshes the Orbi seems to come back online (Magenta light disappears and I have internet). When this issue is happening, the Modem is up and running, but the Orbi shows a Magenta light and it stays with no internet. All that is to say if I am trusting the lights on my Modem, it is working fine.

As far as how long, I'm not sure. I believe it updates automatically, so whenever the update was released? Everything was working fine until late last week, perhaps. Is there a thought of changing from this firmware version? And if so, how would I go about that?

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

v16 released on the 17th, however not sure if your was auto updated around then or afterwards. 

You might factory reset the RBR and set it up from scratch and see if this helps any. 

I would leave Armor, Access Controls and Traffic Meter disabled. 

Message 6 of 14
r1ps
Aspirant

I have an RBR850 with goggle fiber plugged directly into the modem. And mine started doing this out of the blue as well, i will loose internet and will have to unplug and replug the router back in. The google fiber jack is showing a blue light the whole time.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

Power OFF the modem/ONT and RBR and RBS units. Pull the power adapters for a good minute or more. 

@r1ps wrote:

I have an RBR850 with goggle fiber plugged directly into the modem. And mine started doing this out of the blue as well, i will loose internet and will have to unplug and replug the router back in. The google fiber jack is showing a blue light the whole time.

Message 8 of 14
mbarylski
Guide

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone got this working?

I did notice that my satellite firmware is a version back (4.6.3.9) and will not update. I tried manually updating the satellite, but either I'm doing something wrong or the satellite is having issues. 

Any potential fix besides a full reset?

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you trying to update FW on the RBS? 

Try this with a wired PC and web browser connected to the RBS web page. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

@mbarylski wrote:

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone got this working?

I did notice that my satellite firmware is a version back (4.6.3.9) and will not update. I tried manually updating the satellite, but either I'm doing something wrong or the satellite is having issues. 

Any potential fix besides a full reset?

Message 10 of 14
mbarylski
Guide

Thank you for the info. Interestingly, I just checked the firmware and now it's up to date. Not sure how that happened, but we'll see if it fixes the "solid magenta" issue. it's been happening every day so I should know soon.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you power OFF the RBR and RBS for 1 full minute or more, then back ON with the RBR first then RBS. 

@mbarylski wrote:

Thank you for the info. Interestingly, I just checked the firmware and now it's up to date. Not sure how that happened, but we'll see if it fixes the "solid magenta" issue. it's been happening every day so I should know soon.

Message 12 of 14
mbarylski
Guide

Thanks for the tip. It just froze up again so I'm shutting it down. If this doesn't work it'll be time for a reset.
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to power OFF the modem as well. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements