Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Some devices lose wifi after a day and then won't reconnect

Phil_T_AU
Tutor

Some devices lose wifi after a day and then won't reconnect

Hi,

help smart folks - random wifi issues impating only a couple of devices that lose wifi after a while and don't reconnect...

I have a RBR750 and 2x RBS750 satelittes in a large 5 bed house.

Firmware is: V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

My issue is that I have two devices that will connect to wifi once the router is rebooted, however after a day or so, the wifi drops for them and they can't connect to the wifi - they can't even see the wifi network once this happens - it's like it is invisible. The easiest way to get them back online is reboot the orbi system via the admin console and they connect automatically again without any issues and they work perfectly for a while. However once again they will stay connected happily for a day or two then lose wifi and then get stuck offline again. And the pattern repeats again with having to reboot the orbi to get these 2 devices back online... Super frustrating...

The 2 devices are:

- An old HP pc with 2.4ghz only wifi adapter

- A Rainbird wifi enabled home irrigation system (LNK wifi module) - also a 2.4ghz only device

- When they are connected, signal strenth at both devices good (and not weak). 

- I have only had the orbi for 1 month and think this issue has been occuring the whole time...

- The location of my router, and devices in question has not moved in years and worked fine my prior crappy ISP provided wifi/router.

- All the while all my other devices (~15 devices) are connected on the same wifi and working happily as normal....

- The settings in the orbi are pretty much standard out of the box settings and I've not screwed around with them (yet).

Any words of wisond? I'm not sure if I'm looking at at firmware issue, setting issue, or something else. I'm also withinin my first 90 days.

Cheers,

Phil.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Some devices lose wifi after a day and then won't reconnect

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor. Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 4
Phil_T_AU
Tutor

Hi Folks,

After going back and forth with netgear support numerous time, I've given up.

I have returned my orbi for a full refund from where i bought it and bought a ASUS mesh wifi instead - which is working reliably.

The 2 issues that lead to this point were:

1) the troubleshooting was gettng more elaborate, and was slowing crippling any of the advanced features I wanted from the orbi (eg: wifi6) and stil not resolving the problem. For a premium device, it should not be this hard...

2) My orbi's would randomly reboot every day or two.

I really don't know whether the root cause of my issues was hardware, firmware or both, but I surprised and disapointed that it came this this. I would have hoped for better quality given the price point. On top of that only having 90 days free support I felt was very poor as well.

Phil.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation