Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Support (Orbi RBR750) and Hardware Warranty

WeiLogan
Initiate

Support (Orbi RBR750) and Hardware Warranty

I love the ceiling speed of this Orbi! I just got fiber internet and this thing can handle it better than I ever imagined!

... when it's working.

I have had so many disconnections! The lucky days are 2-3 times a day, the bad days are 15-20. Open the app, hit Reboot, do the dishes while I wait for Youtube to work again. Etcetera. Sometimes my speeds also dip in funny, asymmetrical ways, giving me 500+Mbps download vs. 0.08Mbps upload.

Naturally, I've called support. We've done multiple power cycles, a factory reset, fiddled with firmware updates (this DID help with lag), changed the channel, the cords, the Armor, the MTU, DNS, and countless other little peccadillos. Nevertheless, it goes on and it goes on. I've had this router for almost 3 months and I've spent what feels like a solid week on the phone. I've had numerous calls drop, lots of calls just be gargled, and plenty of calls where the end result is that ever-so-unsatisfying capitulation of ..."okay well if the problem isn't fixed, call us back in the next 24-48 hours." Invariably, the problems recur (and recur, and recur.)

-- Hardware replacement --

My last three calls have finished with assurances along the lines of "Don't worry, this is the last step. If it isn't fixed after THIS, then you'll be referred to the hardware replacement people." I adore this mesh system (see above) and want it to work out!

How do I get in touch with these people? If I call, a support tech picks up and softly refuses to do anything before asking to have the whole history of the router all over again. Then, they pressure me into changing a few insignificant things, like cords or channels, none of which have worked in the past, and say that I need now to "monitor the connection for 24-48 hours, and call back if ..."

My wife likes to joke that I could teach meditation on account of my interpersonal patience. NetGear is proving a cosmic, kafkaesque test of my even keel. Is the hardware replacement warranty as illusory as world peace? Is the NetGear support line just the purgatory of the consumer??

#Orbi #RBR750 #support #purgatory #HearMePleaOhNetGear

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Support (Orbi RBR750) and Hardware Warranty

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What are you using to speed test with? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try setting CTS values to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 3
WeiLogan
Initiate

Re: Support (Orbi RBR750) and Hardware Warranty

The firmware is up-to-date. I'd say which one it is, but I can't find that information as readily now as I could earlier, because it's now it AP mode after I had a support call with an L2 this morning. AP mode has disabled the orbilogin page access. And now the orbi app on my phone also cannot recognize the router anymore. (I am currently on on hold with support waiting for another L2, right now, because the IP address page doesn't work either.) I think that the firmware version was something like ... v4.16.something?

Modem is a CenturyLink-provided Greenwave C4000XG. From what I've been told, the thing cannot go into bridge mode; and that's why the router is in AP mode right now. I've speed tested with the google speed test (google search "speed test" and it has one embedded in the results page) as well as the ookla service. I've also used fast.com

Using channels 11 and 48 right now, though I've tried to use 6 and auto for 2.4Ghz. As for 5Ghz I've used 36 and 44 and 48.

My neighbors have wifi, but their houses aren't that close. I can detect 15 other networks, but only 2 of them are at 2 bars out of three (signal strength). Home size shouldn't be an issue; mine is about 2300 sqft split rather evenly over 2 floors. Satellites are about 25-30 feet from one another—one is upstairs.

As for the CTS values, I'll ask the L2 I am about to speak with. Sorry to be replying to your post in the middle of a support call, but I've been on the phone with support for hours, and got bored of waiting to reply to your message.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7