Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Swap satalitte to wired

devdeep
Guide

Swap satalitte to wired

I have RBK353. Currently both satalittes are in WiFi mode and working. If I were to connect to an eternet wire upstairs (wire connected to Orbi router downstairs), will I need to "refind" the satallite? Do I need to change anything? I guess the wired connection should give me better signal (currently 66%) of what comes in the house.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Just connect there RBS to the ethernet wire.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

The RBS will connect via wire to the RBR. WIre always has the best performance and operation.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Just connect there RBS to the ethernet wire.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

The RBS will connect via wire to the RBR. WIre always has the best performance and operation.

Message 2 of 18
WPP34
Aspirant

I have done this for one satellite. Result in the app the map shows a dotted line and magenta dot. In the router page I am told only 1 satellite but when I go to details they are both listed as connected at 5G but the wired one has a back haul status of config sync. When I go to the satellite page it shows it is connected, and I am writing this on an iPad that is connected to it! I am not sure if I can trust any of the details in the app or the device pages but it is working.

any advice?

The system is in AP mode and my cable modem is the router.

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the RBS connected by wire to the RBR? Directly behind the RBR or is the RBS wire connected behond the cable modem router or is there a LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS? 

What kind of LAN cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

@WPP34 wrote:

I have done this for one satellite. Result in the app the map shows a dotted line and magenta dot. In the router page I am told only 1 satellite but when I go to details they are both listed as connected at 5G but the wired one has a back haul status of config sync. When I go to the satellite page it shows it is connected, and I am writing this on an iPad that is connected to it! I am not sure if I can trust any of the details in the app or the device pages but it is working.

any advice?

The system is in AP mode and my cable modem is the router.

Message 4 of 18
WPP34
Aspirant

The RBR is connected directly to the cable modem and the modem is in router mode but has its wifi turned off. The connection uses the flat ethernet cable that came with the Orbi. Cable modem connected to switch via older ethernet cable and the satellite was connected to the switch with Cat4e. Changed this to Cat5e and the network map is now showing solid line and the Netgear router also has it now connected by wire and back haul is now good.

I had not realised how important the type of cables were and, probably like a lot of people just grabbed one that was handy to use. I have now learned my lesson and have ordered a batch of Cat6 and will replace all of the cables that are older versions.

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes CAT6 is best and also you'll need to connect the RBS behind the RBR, not behind the cable modem/router:

After this, the orbi app and RBR web page will show correct status indications. 

@WPP34 wrote:

The RBR is connected directly to the cable modem and the modem is in router mode but has its wifi turned off. The connection uses the flat ethernet cable that came with the Orbi. Cable modem connected to switch via older ethernet cable and the satellite was connected to the switch with Cat4e. Changed this to Cat5e and the network map is now showing solid line and the Netgear router also has it now connected by wire and back haul is now good.

I had not realised how important the type of cables were and, probably like a lot of people just grabbed one that was handy to use. I have now learned my lesson and have ordered a batch of Cat6 and will replace all of the cables that are older versions.

Message 6 of 18
WPP34
Aspirant

CA92B0BB-270A-472C-BD4B-D239454D7E5E.jpeg

Picture of network map with connections as before.

I then added a cat5 cable from the RBR350 to the switch that is connected via Ethernet to the switch that satellite Lounge is connected to. Picture below, solid line is correct but it is not connected in any way to satellite J. Router page shows it is connected by wire and back haul good. 2 out of 3 better than before!

7E087B8B-489F-4AC5-8D6E-38924696A8E2.jpeg

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you use the Choose File button on your next post and attached those pictures there. We have to wait for a moderator to approve in line pictures. 

Message 8 of 18
WPP34
Aspirant

Tried that but it rejects them as not correct type. They are screen shots from iPad.

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

PNGs or JPGs? Either should work...

So you have the ISP Modem to Switch then RBR and RBS connected to this same switch? 

Message 10 of 18
WPP34
Aspirant

ISP modem to RBR wan port. RBR Ethernet port to switch. Switch connected by Ethernet to another switch, RBS connected to second switch.

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switches in the configuration?

Message 12 of 18
WPP34
Aspirant

Netgear GS208 and GS205.

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing that Orbi system sometimes don't like is Green Ethernet. I see the 20x series switches have this feature. 

So in this configuration, the RBS is connected and reports wired and GOOD on the RBRs web page? 

The Orbi app shows solid line and should be a green dot...

Message 14 of 18
WPP34
Aspirant

when I amconnected via wifi to the wired satellite I have to connect using the Anywhere access because it cannot detect wifi! When I connect the map is RBR dotted line to satellite then full line from satellite to satellite. Both have green dots. The diagram is wrong, it should show RBR to satellite via dotted line and RBR to satellite via full line.

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be a test to take out the switches and directly connect them to the back of the RBR. You can do this while near or in same room as the RBR. Then look at the map. Lines from the RBR to the RBS should be solid. No dotted lines. If you see this then the switches your you between the RBR and RBS is messing things up. 

Tested my self: NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 16 of 18
WPP34
Aspirant

Furry,

I will do that but I have also been experiencing intermittent loss of internet on my home network. I have replaced all of the older patch cables and everything is now at least Cat 5e with Cat 6 connecting all Orbi units and switches to modem etc. I now think it is possible my GS208 might have be faulty as it is 5+ years old and wondered what you would advise it is replaced with? GS308 or GS108 seem similar Netgear models but your input would be good.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Tested my self: NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7