Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Terrible wifi speed on Orbi RB750 + 2 satellites

hshiau
Aspirant

Terrible wifi speed on Orbi RB750 + 2 satellites

I have an Orbi RB753 setup with an RBR750 (firmware V4.6.5.14_2.0.54) and 2 RBS750's on the same firmware version.  I also have a Cisco VPN router connected to the Orbi providing VPN services to a work computer and phone.  All other devices are connected to the Orbi's either hardwired or via wifi.  

I get 479.79 down, 21.29 up on my hardwired laptop.  But i'm getting only 9.35 down, 4.81 up on the same laptop over wifi.  I'd like to resolve this before my hardware warranty runs out in a week.  

Thanks.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Terrible wifi speed on Orbi RB750 + 2 satellites

And this is with the wireless device connected to the RBR and the RBS turned off? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Be sure that WMM is enabled. Also try setting CTS to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What is the connection rate seen on the Mac if you press the OPT and then right click on the wifi icon on the top tool bar? 

And to be sure that wired speed connected at the RBR is to spec? 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the Orbi system in router or AP mode? If you have a router already in line, it's best to use the Orbi system in AP mode.

What is the brand and mfr of the wifi adapter in the laptop? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Have you tried turning OFF the RBS and placing the laptop in same room with the RBR and wirelessly connect to check speedTry enabling

Be sure WMM is enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings on the RBR. 

Message 2 of 11
hshiau
Aspirant

Spectrum is my service provider.  The modem is a Hitron Technologies E31N2V1.  

The Orbi is in router mode.  The modem does not provide wifi but the downstream Cisco router does.

I don't know the mfr of the wifi card but it's a Macbook Pro.  I'm getting similar speeds on my iPhone.

The house is 6250 sq ft (yes big) and the satellites are both more than 30 ft away.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model # of the Cisco router in front of the RBR?

It's not recommended to have two routers on the same line. Can cause problem such as your seeing. Try the RBR in AP mode with the Cisco router. Be sure that any wifi radios on the Cisco router are fully disabled. 

Message 4 of 11
hshiau
Aspirant

It's a Cisco C1111-PW but it's behind the Orbi so, cable modem to Orbi to Cisco.  I'll disable the wifi on the Cisco and test that out also.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Or power OFF the Cisco C1111 unit and test. 

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets not presume this user has same problem as others until we have troubleshot there issue first. 

I wouldnt' "Bet" your advise. Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 11
hshiau
Aspirant

I powered off the Cisco router and retested.  21.0 down, 21.3 up.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

And this is with the wireless device connected to the RBR and the RBS turned off? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Be sure that WMM is enabled. Also try setting CTS to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What is the connection rate seen on the Mac if you press the OPT and then right click on the wifi icon on the top tool bar? 

And to be sure that wired speed connected at the RBR is to spec? 

Message 9 of 11
hshiau
Aspirant

Using 6 on 2.4ghz and 44 on 5ghz. One neighbor.  WMM is enabled.  

CTS changed to 2347 and that seems to have fixed the problem.  Now getting 479.10 down and 22.27 up.  

Thanks for all the help!!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7