Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrade RBR850 advice

Coffeecup
Star

Upgrade RBR850 advice

After going through the RBR50 FW upgrade issues (intermittent connection),  my Orbi system is running without problems.  Initially I thought  my Orbi was broken so I purchased a RBR 850 from Amazon.  My question is, should upgrade my Orbi to the 

RBR850 or stay put with RBR50?  I have 18-21 devices running of the WiFi since my son is distance learning.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need to trouble shoot the 50 series problems to see if there is a problem in that system first. Recent known problems are that Traffic Meter needs to be disabled on the Orbi AC series FW. Seems to cause problems thats known by NG. 

Would be up to you to get a Orb AX or not. Do you have anything that can take advantage of the AX wifi modes? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 8
Coffeecup
Star

My home is wood framed single level 1600 sq. feet.The distance from router to satellite is approximately 30 feet.  What advantages does the  AX Wifi mode(s) offer?  Sorry if this is dumb

question.  

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Higher connection rate speeds and faster bandwidth, however you need AX mode supporting devices to take advantage of this. Also some devices are limited by there design, even though some support AX modes, it's the antenna configuration that will impact how AX devices work and perform. 2x2 antenna configurations will be limited by the performance and speed. 4x4 antenna configurations wil have the ability to take advantage of higher speeds and performances. 

Message 4 of 8
Coffeecup
Star

If I switch out the RBR50 to the RBR850, will I have to reconnect all of my devices to my network or do they automatically connect?  Second question is do most people use the Orbi app to do the set up or use the web based method?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If you use the same SSID name and PW on wifi. you wifi devices should auto reconnect to the RBR850. 

Web based browser setup is preferred. 

Message 6 of 8
Coffeecup
Star

Furrye38,

Thanks for all your input.  I did a search and found this on the Forum.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Setting-up-New-RBR850-from-RBR50-with-OnQ-set-up/td-p/18944....  Would this be the way to do the switch?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7