Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V4.6.6.11 Firmware Version and DDNS Remote Access

NGSvensk
Apprentice

V4.6.6.11 Firmware Version and DDNS Remote Access

I have Orbi 850 with V4.6.6.11 firmware and have DDNS setup and I cannot access the Orbi outside of my network.  (the app works find though)  When I use the DDNS address within my network I can connect fine but outside of my network I cannot.   I did downgrade from 4.6.7.5 and on that version (from what I can remember) DDNS worked perfect.

Can someone on 4.6.6.11 confirm if they have been able to get remote access via DDNS.

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
ekhalil
Master

I have currently v.4.6.75 and DDNS works well. Before that I had v.4.6.3.16 and DDNS also worked well on that formware.

How do you see that DDNS does not work? Do you check this using the "Show Status" button on the DDNS advanced settings? I would recommend to deactivate DDNS in that page, click apply, then activate again and click apply and see if the "Show Status" will show that DDNS has been successfully updated.

Do you use VPN?

Message 2 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

@NGSvensk wrote:

When I use the DDNS address within my network I can connect fine but outside of my network I cannot.

Is it DDNS not working (resolving your name to your external IP) or is it that you cannot connect from outside your network?  The latter can be caused by other, non-DDNS issues.  For example:

1. What IP address do you get if you ping your DDNS from inside your network?
  2. If you ping your DDNS name from outside your network then do you get the same IP address?
  3. How are you trying to connect to your DDNS from outside your network?
  4. Can you directly connect, using the external IP address instead of your DDNS name, from outside your network?
  5. Do you have Double NAT?  Is your http://orbilogin.com / Advanced Tab / Internet Port / IP Address something like 192.*.*.* or 10.*.*.*?  Or is it something else?

Message 3 of 10
NGSvensk
Apprentice

1. What IP address do you get if you ping your DDNS from inside your network?My Wan IP Address
  2. If you ping your DDNS name from outside your network then do you get the same IP address?My Wan IP Address
  3. How are you trying to connect to your DDNS from outside your network?From computer on another network  at another location and my cell phone on cell service
  4. Can you directly connect, using the external IP address instead of your DDNS name, from outside your network?On wifi within the network it works - On cell service does not work including when I added /start.htm at the end of the ip address
  5. Do you have Double NAT?  Is your http://orbilogin.com / Advanced Tab / Internet Port / IP Address something like 192.*.*.* or 10.*.*.*?  Or is it something else?192.***

Any more ideas?   As far as I remember this worked fine on the previous version of firmware

Message 4 of 10
NGSvensk
Apprentice

The DNNS is working when I check status and also on wifi by using the name.

I did do the reset as you mentioned and it did not change anything.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@NGSvensk wrote:
192.***

Any more ideas? 

This is the problem.  An IP address that begins with 192.168 is a "private IP address".  DDNS works only with public IP addresses.

The Orbi is almost certainly behind another router.

Message 6 of 10
NGSvensk
Apprentice

My mistake - my internet is a public ip 23.3XX.

Any ideas?

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@NGSvensk wrote:

I have Orbi 850 with V4.6.6.11 firmware and have DDNS setup and I cannot access the Orbi outside of my network.  (the app works find though)  When I use the DDNS address within my network I can connect fine but outside of my network I cannot. 

The conversation may have gone off in the wrong direction with the focus on DDNS.

How are you attempting to "access the Orbi" outside of your network?  Routers do not accept connections from the internet unless they have been directed to.  The original Orbi product had a feature called "Remote Management" which exposed a secure web site to the internet (I believe the default port was 8443).  That feature was never supported on the 850 series Orbi and has since been removed from the original Orbi firmware.  There remain only two methods to access the Orbi itself from the internet:

• The Orbi 'app', which does not involve DDNS.  It works because the Orbi itself opens a connection to the Netgear cloud which the app uses as a 'back door' to connect to the router.
  • OpenVPN configures the router as an OpenVPN 'host' which accepts connections from OpenVPN clients which can supply the correct security information.  This requires DDNS.  Is VPN set up on this Orbi?

Message 8 of 10
NGSvensk
Apprentice

Been away from looking at this as my satellite got bricked when the the firmware was downgaded.

I think I know why I cannot access the web accesst to the router remotely because of port 80 being blocked by my ISP   I have tried to port forward/trigger but Orbi does not allow me to forward to the Orbi itself to be able to log into it.  

Can someone help with how they are able to get remote log in on an Orbi 800 series and if they had to use port forwarding/triggering.

Thanks

Message 9 of 10
NGSvensk
Apprentice

I have had time to try this again and I the only way I can get it to work is to put the the router address on a DMZ which obviously I do not want to do.

After setting up the DDNS and checking the status- it shows registered.

How do I do port forwarding to the router itself or can someone who is using DDNS for remote router access let us know if there are any special settings needed to get web access to the router from outside of your network.

Thanks

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7