Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Very pleased with Netgear RBKE963 (AXE11000) and its 4 radios

Mikey94025
Hero

Very pleased with Netgear RBKE963 (AXE11000) and its 4 radios

I've had my Netgear RBKE963 (AXE11000) system for two days now and it's been working very well.  It replaced my Orbi AX (RBK852) system.  I was also running my older Orbi AC (RBK50) system for wireless compatibility reasons and troublesome devices.  The new AXE system has been great and I've been able to shutdown all the other routers.

The AXE system has 4 radios and I run them like this:
  1. Primary wireless network, 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz + WPA2/WPA3 - Using the same SSID/password as before so most of my devices automatically switchover
  2. New 6Gz/6e-only + WPA3 network - I don't yet own any devices that can leverage Wi-Fi 6E (Surprise! I thought the latest iPhones did but now understand that they do not)
  3. New ioT network set to 2.4Ghz-only
  4. Guest network
The only setting I changed was to disable AX for 2.4Ghz.  I hypothesize this will improve compatibility for older 2.4Ghz.  I left all the other settings as-is, e.g,, CTS/RTS Threshold is 64.

After I setup the AXE system I had to reconfigure some Nest thermostats, smart switches, Arlo light and Harmony hubs, MyQ garage opener, etc. that had been connecting to my older routers for compatibility.  The new IoT network is useful - I temporarily switch my iPhone to the 2.4Ghz-only IoT network, run the app and configure the device to the IoT network, then return my iPhone to the primary wireless network.

All my previous Orbi issues are so far resolved with just running the new AXE system:
  1. Nest thermostats are not reporting low battery (after 2 days) - No need to use the guest network workaround or connect to an older router
  2. No need to set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 to improve 2.4Ghz compatibility with older or troublesome devices
  3. My 2 AXE satellites are still running well after 2 days - I had a unique problem where my AX system would lose internet connectivity if I tried to run more than 1 satellite (I have 3 AX satellites so two of them were wasted)
The only issue I've noticed so far with my AX system is a minor one - My "mynetgear.com" Dynamic DNS config using Netgear's No-IP isn't working.  The status is always like: "Update failed at 01:08PM,12/11/2021 The service provider is not reachable."  I believe I entered my credentials properly and I can login successfully with them at the Netgear-branded website.  It's not critical so I'll just wait and see if a future firmware update fixes the problem.
Message 1 of 4
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Mikey94025 wrote:

I've had my Netgear RBKE963 (AXE11000) system for two days now and it's been working very well.  It replaced my Orbi AX (RBK852) system.  I was also running my older Orbi AC (RBK50) system for wireless compatibility reasons and troublesome devices.  The new AXE system has been great and I've been able to shutdown all the other routers.

<snipped out>
The only issue I've noticed so far with my AX system is a minor one - My "mynetgear.com" Dynamic DNS config using Netgear's No-IP isn't working.  The status is always like: "Update failed at 01:08PM,12/11/2021 The service provider is not reachable."  I believe I entered my credentials properly and I can login successfully with them at the Netgear-branded website.  It's not critical so I'll just wait and see if a future firmware update fixes the problem.

Happy you are pleased with the RBKE963!   

I'm using the Dynamic DNS configuration on my RBKE963, but not the mynetgear one.   I am using my DDNS from NOIP and it is working perfectly and without any issues -  so thinking it is not necessarily a firmware issue, but maybe something with mynetgear.com

Message 2 of 4
Mikey94025
Hero

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

I'm using the Dynamic DNS configuration on my RBKE963, but not the mynetgear one.   I am using my DDNS from NOIP and it is working perfectly and without any issues -  so thinking it is not necessarily a firmware issue, but maybe something with mynetgear.com

Thanks for that.  I switched to a No-IP login and a new hostname and it does work fine.  So my previous DDNS problem with my AXE router is specific to mynetgear.com updating.

Message 3 of 4
dcinca
Apprentice

Yea, it's mynetgear.com's problem. 

It stopped updating the IP around Dec. 7/8. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7