Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WIFI disconnecting 2-3 times a day with Orbi RBK852/850 (Satelite)

duomono
Star

WIFI disconnecting 2-3 times a day with Orbi RBK852/850 (Satelite)

Hi all

Just bought the Orbi 6 RBK852/850 2 weeks ago … the coverage and speed is good but the Wifi network discounting 2-3 times a day is a huge headache when your home is set up with ‘smart’ but wifi dependent products. I’ve also hosted an online event and got disconnected. When I called netgear, they claimed it’s not their product problem and they can fix it - blaming on my network - at a fee. I told them the product is sold at a price that we should expect decent support. Disappointing experience with Netgear!

I hope we can find some solutions here.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
duomono
Star

Hi … it has been 5 days and I’m happy to report that my wifi network has stayed up!

What I’ve done … installed the Beta for 850 as recommended, then I rebooted the system by first unplugging the modem, router and satellite for 5 minutes before turning them on. I gave a 2 minutes gap (as suggested) when turning on modem, followed by the router, then the satelite.

With the stability, our network is running a lot faster and the coverage is pretty amazing. Cheers for all the help!

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 27

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 27
duomono
Star

Hi there, sorry for the delayed reply as I wanted to make sure how it has been disconnecting over the last 7 days. I can confirm that the WIFI disconnect at least once a day with the internet from our modem running perfectly fine.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V.3.2.18.1
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Technicolor DJA0231) Firmware 20.3.c.0329-MR19-RB

WIFI switched off

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
Approx 2000sq ft
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

About 30 ft

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
None, country/rural property.

I've set channel to 11/44

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor.

Done

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Done. (I've disabled 20/40 Coexistence)

Will keep everyone posted if this works. 

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 4 of 27
duomono
Star

Hi there

I’ve done that but it is still disconnecting (WIFI network) daily unfortunately. Please advise what to do next.
Message 5 of 27
gsingh
Tutor

Do you have another wifi running. Like a gateway that's a modem and router. If so turn off the other router. See if that helps.
Message 6 of 27
duomono
Star

Orbi is the only one running. The wifi function in the modem has been switched off.
Message 7 of 27
gsingh
Tutor

Some things I can think of you can try:

1.  Do you know if anything changed in your setup before the wifi started disconnecting? Maybe a new firmware got installed and thats messing things up, I doubt it though.

2.  Is your orbi router on latest firmware?

3.  Did you always had router/modem combo gateway and things were working just fine?  Just worth a try, return your modem/router combo to your ISP and get modem without a built-in router (modem only).

Message 8 of 27
duomono
Star

Some things I can think of you can try:

1. Do you know if anything changed in your setup before the wifi started disconnecting? Maybe a new firmware got installed and thats messing things up, I doubt it though.
Just bought the Orbi a few weeks ago.

2. Is your orbi router on latest firmware?
It has been updated to the latest firmware.

3. Did you always had router/modem combo gateway and things were working just fine? Just worth a try, return your modem/router combo to your ISP and get modem without a built-in router (modem only).
Our ISP only supply a modem/router combo.

I’ve just disconnected all our Philips Hue (Zigbee) set up to check whether it has affected the network. We did the changes the Hue support group suggested to keeping Wifi 2.4 at channel and Zigbee at channel 25 to avoid any interference. Performance of the Hue has improved with that set up but the Orbi is still disconnecting daily (3 times yesterday). So we’ve disconnected Hue just you eliminate one issue. Any other input will be greatly appreciated, unless the Orbi is faulty.
Message 9 of 27
gsingh
Tutor

I had a similar issue. My orbi router was disconnecting 2-3 times a day. But my isp router was ON. I had the router/modem combo. So I returned the combo and got the modem without the built-in WiFi. It has been running good with modem only device.
But your isp router is off so it should work. Some people are suggesting on YouTube that if you have a router/modem combo, 1. You need to turn isp router OFF which you already did. 2. You need to set your orbi router to AP mode.
Try that and see if it works. Watch the YouTube video to see how to set the orbi router into AP mode.
Message 10 of 27
duomono
Star

Thanks. Will try anything to get this issue sorted. Set to AP mode. Will keep you posted. Cheers.
Message 11 of 27
gsingh
Tutor

You're welcome.  Yes I am curious to know if this resolves your issue.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Message 12 of 27
duomono
Star

Pretty speechless now ... the AP mode disconnects 6 times since we swap till this moment. I've reverted it back now, at least it was once (or twice) a day. We were initially told by less than helpful phone support, that we might have duplicate IP. They would not explain in detail how to check or rectify it unless we pay a fee. Why are we paying over a thousand dollar (in Australia) for these 'premium' routers and yet expected to pay for support? Have Netgear/Orbi not learnt from Apple's support if they want to charge premium? 

Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Please reach out to a forum moderator to see what options are available for you. Ask them for the v16 beta thats avaialble.

@Blanca_O @DarrenM 

@duomono wrote:

Pretty speechless now ... the AP mode disconnects 6 times since we swap till this moment. I've reverted it back now, at least it was once (or twice) a day. We were initially told by less than helpful phone support, that we might have duplicate IP. They would not explain in detail how to check or rectify it unless we pay a fee. Why are we paying over a thousand dollar (in Australia) for these 'premium' routers and yet expected to pay for support? Have Netgear/Orbi not learnt from Apple's support if they want to charge premium? 

Message 14 of 27
gsingh
Tutor

Ok.  The only thing I can think of now is to do a hard reset on the orbi router and restart your modem.  There is a reset button on the back of router.  Good luck.

The orbi router has very good signal if it works.  I have a 5500 sq ft house and the signal is rock solid.

Message 15 of 27
duomono
Star

We've done the hard reset with the phone support team. Signal is definitely good, except it disconnects (which makes your smart home products play up) and the support team expect a fee of USD150/USD180/USD250 options to rectify a newly purchased product!

Message 16 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a full power OFF of the RBR and RBS by pulling the power adapters for 5 minutes been done? 

Try moving the RBS maybe 5 feet closer or farther to the RBR...

@duomono wrote:

We've done the hard reset with the phone support team. Signal is definitely good, except it disconnects (which makes your smart home products play up) and the support team expect a fee of USD150/USD180/USD250 options to rectify a newly purchased product!

Message 17 of 27
raven_au
Virtuoso

@duomono wrote:

I see the WiFi disconnect problem too, on my 850 series device.

In my case I have found that turning off the AX function on the 2.4Ghz wireless band and setting the signal power to 50% for the 5Ghz band helped but didn't completely resolve it.

Message 18 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using the v16 beta or v9 version? 

@raven_au wrote:

In my case I have found that turning off the AX function on the 2.4Ghz wireless band and setting the signal power to 50% for the 5Ghz band helped but didn't completely resolve it.

Message 19 of 27
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@raven_au wrote:

I don't have the beta, I'm doing the best I can with v9 which not too good but I can use the system.

Message 20 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Check ur PM. 

@raven_au wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@raven_au wrote:

I don't have the beta, I'm doing the best I can with v9 which not too good but I can use the system.

Message 21 of 27
gsingh
Tutor

I have another suggestion.  Try buying a new modem online (without built in wi-fi router) thats compatible with your ISP.  You can buy it from ebay or amazon and make sure they allow you to return if it doesn't resolve the issue you are having.

Message 22 of 27
duomono
Star

Hi there … we’ve updated the 850 with the beta firmware, so far so good in the last 24 hours. Fingers crossed!
Message 23 of 27
gsingh
Tutor

Glad to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.
Message 24 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset or install and continue after installing the beta FW? 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@duomono wrote:
Hi there … we’ve updated the 850 with the beta firmware, so far so good in the last 24 hours. Fingers crossed!

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7