Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WOWLAN on Orbi

TyneBridges
Tutor

WOWLAN on Orbi

Has anyone got Wake on Wireless LAN working successfully on their Orbi? I used Wake On (wired) LAN successfully on the same PC via Google Wifi until I got the Orbi system recently but now I can't get WOWLAN to work at all.

I've checked the AX200 wireless card device settings in Windows, the BIOS, the Windows Power Management (everything set to "stay on"). Everything seems to be set as it should ("Allow Magic Packet to wake computer" etc) but with no luck.

Is there something I need to set on the Orbi router to allow this?

My system is an AX4200 (RBK752) which, annoyingly, I can't find at all in the models listed on this site.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

For WoWLAN to work you need Orbi to be in Router Mode (not AP Mode) and also forward ports 7 and 9 to the PC that you want to wake up.

Message 2 of 6
TyneBridges
Tutor

Thanks ekhalil. I am in router mode but am not clear on how to set up Port Forwarding. Netgear's instruction https://kb.netgear.com/31069/How-do-I-configure-port-forwarding-on-my-Orbi-system doesn't help, referring to menu entries (ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Port Forwarding/Port Triggering)  that are not there in the browser interface I see. For example, under Advanced I see entries for LAN Setup and WAN Setup and neither refers to Port Forwarding.

Message 3 of 6
TyneBridges
Tutor

I found the Port Forwarding option but still don't know what I'm doing. I selected "HTTP" (guessing that Google Home and the WOL phone app I'm using will both use HTTP) and the IP address of the device I want to send to (to wake up), ending in 14. I set the port to 9. The Netgear Community site seemed to accept my uploaded image of the web interface (below) but wasn't visible when I viewed the message. Should the Port Forwarding now work, or have I misunderstood?

(The article https://kb.netgear.com/31069/How-do-I-configure-port-forwarding-on-my-Orbi-system seems to assume a detailed knowledge of networking and mine is limited to a course I did in 1999. I have more questions than answers, such as Does this only work forwarding from a fixed IP address? in which case I don't understand how it did via my old Google Wifi/Google Home, where I don't know Google's source address) Is there an explanation "for dummies" somewhere?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@TyneBridges wrote:

I found the Port Forwarding option but still don't know what I'm doing. I selected "HTTP" (guessing that Google Home and the WOL phone app I'm using will both use HTTP) and the IP address of the device I want to send to (to wake up), ending in 14. I set the port to 9. The Netgear Community site seemed to accept my uploaded image of the web interface (below) but wasn't visible when I viewed the message. Should the Port Forwarding now work, or have I misunderstood?

Yes, looks that you managed to forward port 9 (this is not http. http is port 80, ports 7 and 9 ar not listed as part of the "standard" ports"). Please do the same for port 7 and see if WoWLAN will now work!

@TyneBridges wrote:

......... in which case I don't understand how it did via my old Google Wifi/Google Home, where I don't know Google's source address) .....

Was it WoLAN or WLAN that worked on Google Wifi? WoLAN is much straight forward to get working than WoWLAN.

Message 5 of 6
TyneBridges
Tutor

Thanks again Ekhalil. It was working wired with Google Wifi. I guess I should test whether that still works before trying wireless.

Things are further complicated by the fact that no lights show on my wireless card when the PC is powered down, despite the fact that it should be in low power mode rather than off altogether. I've selected "allow this device to wake the PC" etc. I've noticed that wired cards will have a light illuminated at all times if WOL is going to work.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7