Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Weird issue with new Orbi RBK753, Wi-Fi works fine but loses internet access

jon96789
Aspirant

Weird issue with new Orbi RBK753, Wi-Fi works fine but loses internet access

I bought a new Orbi RBK753  from Costco on March 30 to replace a dead RBK50.  The RBK753 was working fine until last week.  My configuration:

Orbi is connected to Spectrum Internet (200 mb/s) via an Arris SBS190 cable modem.  The Orbi is configured MAC address security, blocking any devices not on the whitelist from connecting to my Wi-Fi network.  I have a desktop AMD PC connected to one of the LAN ports of the Orbi.  I also have two QNAP NAS servers connected to the other two LAN ports.  I have approximately 30 devices accessing the Orbi Wi-Fi, but only four or five are connected simultaneously.

A couple of weeks ago, my LG Smart TV had a weird error, it said it could connect to the Wi-Fi but it could not access the internet. I reset the TV, reconfigured the Wi-Fi access on the TV and the error persisted.  Finally, I replaced the TV and all was well.  A few days later, a Dell XPS13 laptop encountered the exact same issue, connected via Wi-Fi but no internet access.  Then one of my QNAP NAS servers started having the same issues.

I decided to reboot the cable modem as well as the Orbi router.  The issue persisted. I then shut down the Orbi completely for several minutes and the problem was resolved.  Thinking back, I remembered that my wife's HP Spectre 360 laptop was constantly dropping and reconnecting to the Orbi was well.

I searched online about this issue and see that there are a LOT of owners where the Orbi drops internet but still has Wi-Fi access, but it seems that ALL the devices loses internet access, not just individual devices as in my case.  Router reboots seem to fix their issues.  My question is have any other users encountered the same problems as I have?  If so, how often does this problem occur?

On a side note: I contacted Netgear support to discuss this issue.  Let me be frank, Netgear support was absolutely no help at all. They could not tell me if this is a known issue or if anyone else encountered it.  They said that the system is now working fine and that was it. I know that Netgear only has a 90-day support window so I am worried if this problem pops up again after the 90-day window.  What do owners do when the unit is older than 90 days and the Orbi is still under the one year warranty and cannot get support?

Another question. One user reportedly ended up using the Orbi as an access point, connecting it to another router as a gateway to fix his problem.  If I go that route, can I connected to Orbi using the yellow port to the gateway router as all my other ports are used.

Message 1 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Weird issue with new Orbi RBK753, Wi-Fi works fine but loses internet access

The Orbi MUST be connected using the yellow port.
I do not see an Arris modem with that number.
Message 2 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

P. S. Have you considered turning off Access Control as an experiment?
Message 3 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

Yes.  Disabling MAC security did not fix it.

On another note, I do have the latest firmware.  My house size is 4,500 sq feet. It is a single level and is shaped like a capital H. The cable entry point is in the lower left "leg" of the house.  I got the Orbi because single routers did not reach the opposite end of the house, I would only get about 10-20% signal there.  With the Orbi, I can get 80% throughout the house.

Message 4 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

Sorry, it is a Arris SB6190.

Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Theres long standing known issues and vulnerabilities with this model modem. I'd look into getting into something else. 

Message 6 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

I can see other issues popping up. My QNAP NAS servers can no longer communicate with the Google time server and it has always been working before.  Also they are no longer able to connect to the QNAP servers to check for application updates.  The Anti-virus app in the server now are both failing to auto-update the virus definitions daily.  Rebooting the NAS and the QNAP servers did NOT resolve this problem.

I see Costco is no longer selling the RBK753, but has replaced it with the RBK763.  Since I am still within the 90-day return window, I think I will return the RBK753 and get the RBK763.  Hopefully, the RBK763 fixes these issues, otherwise I will have to look for another mesh Wi-Fi system.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Give the 760 series a try. I see a couple of other users posted about this model and seems to be working for them. 

I would also replace that ISP modem. 

Good Luck.

Message 8 of 25
FarmerBob1
Luminary

@jon96789 wrote:

Sorry, it is a Arris SB6190.

I had a SB6190 with Comcast, have three of them in their boxes sitting here on the floor. Most all problems like this were attributed to the Faulty Puma 6 & 7 Chip Problems in them at the time. So unless there has been a fix Firmware wise or a newer version, which I think they replaced it with a newer model instead of dealing with it on the SB6190. That could be your problem or part of it.

Let me know if you have any different or updated information on this that "fixes" the SB6190. I'd like to get rid of the ones I have. But can't do it without feeling guilty that I'd be selling faulty gear.

Message 9 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

Luckily, Costco is only a couple of miles from my residence.  I replace the RBK753S with the newer RBK763S and almost all the issues went away. One problem from my older RBK50 resurfaced.  My wife's laptop intermittently drops internet again.  This went away with the RBK753S.  If I disable MAC security, her laptop works fine.  The laptop is in the whitelist.  i might have to disable MAC security and change all my passwords to something more complex if the issue persists.  I still plan to replace the Arris modem.

Side notes:

1. The RBK763S is a couple of inches smaller than the RBK753S

2. The RBK763S has a dual core 1.0 GHz CPU and the RBK753S has a quad core 1.4 GHz CPU

3. The RBK763S has 4GB flash RAM for firmware updates and the RBK753S is only 512MB.

4. The RBK763 is white and gray while the RBK753S is white and silver in color.

5. The band speeds on the RBK763S is listed as 600/2400/2400 mb/s vs 600/1200/2400 on the RBK753S

6. The RBK763S box says it is 25% faster than the RBK753S

Message 10 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

Okay. All is not well with the new Orbi RBK763S.  When I enable MAC security, various devices intermittently drop internet access... again. Primarily any Apple Wi-Fi devices will disconnect and I have to reconnect manually.  If i disable MAC security, all is well.  What's going on?

Message 11 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

Orbi RBK763S - Various devices loses internet acess when Access Control is enabled.

I  bought an Orbi RBK753S which worked fine for a couple of months but suddenly was getting all sorts of issues connecting to the internet, Wi-Fi connectivity was fine but I would lose internet access on a number of devices (LG Smart TV, Dell XPS13 laptop, my QNAP NAS servers all lost internet access one by one, not simultaneously). A Orbi reboot would temporarily resolve the situation, but only for a day or two and the issues would pop up again.  I contacted Netgear support and they were of no help. They said if a reboot fixes it, albeit temporarily, that is all  they could do, which I found to be completely unsatisfactory. I cannot be rebooting the Orbi every day or two.

I replaced the RBK753S with a new RBK763S a couple of days ago.  I am now getting other issues with the RBK763S.

My Configuration:

• Orbi RBK763S, router with two satellites running firmware V6.3.1.0_1.1.41
  • Arris SB6190 Cable modem (planning to replace with a new modem this week as I understand this one is buggy)
  • ISP is Spectrum 200 mb/s
  • Primary PC is an AMD 5950X desktop with 32GB RAM connected via LAN port
  • Two QNAP NAS servers connected via other two LAN ports
  • Number of devices connected to Orbi, approximately 30, but only four or five simultaneously

I have configured the Orbi to use access control. Any device not on the whitelist cannot connect to the Wi-Fi.  The problem is various devices (Apple iPhones, iPads) would drop connection to Wi-Fi.  My wife's HP Spectre X360 laptop connects to Wi-Fi but says there is no access to the internet.  I tried toggling Private Wi-Fi Address on my iPhone wireless settings but that did not work,

If I disable access control, everything worked fine, at least for now (it's only been 12 hours since I disabled access control).

I tried checking my CTS setting but cannot find it anywhere in the web GUI. 

Any assistance would be appreciated.  TIA.

Message 12 of 25
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Orbi RBK763S - Various devices loses internet acess when Access Control is enabled.

I don't use access control, but definitely keep the iOS  Private Wi-Fi Address  setting off or else there is no way for it to work (because your iOS device will look different to the Orbi each time it tries to connect).  I don't see how CTS/RTS Threshold would affect access control, but the setting is in http://orbilogin.com / Advanced tab / Advanced on left / Wireless Settings.

Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK763S - Various devices loses internet acess when Access Control is enabled.

Also make sure Local Network for the Orbi app is enabled on the iOS settings:

Also is NOT recommended to change CTS values from 64. Was told that his helps with avoiding collisions and clashing with MESH systems. I would only change the value as last resort or trouble shooting check. Seems the more RBS (3-4 or more) you have the busier the environment gets. Keeping 64 by default should work for the most part. 

Message 14 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

There is no CTS value in the web page or I am blind.  See attached. Local Network is enabled in iOS for the Orbi app.

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, then don't worry about it. I see it's not a available user option for the 760 series. 

Message 16 of 25
Mikey94025
Hero

@jon96789 wrote:

There is no CTS value in the web page or I am blind.  See attached.

Sorry, interesting that your Orbi model has removed the CTS/RTS Threshold from Advanced settings.

Message 17 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

What modem is recommended to replace the Arris SB6190?  I am using Spectrum as an ISP.

Message 18 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

The list of Spectrum authorized modems can be found here:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network 

It all depends on (a) the desired speed, and (b) whether Spectrum provides voice service.

Message 19 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

My problems must be with the modem... The new Orbi RBK763S is showing the same issue, wi-fi okay but select devices are dropping internet.  Access control is disabled.

Message 20 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

@jon96789 wrote:

My problems must be with the modem... The new Orbi RBK763S is showing the same issue, wi-fi okay but select devices are dropping internet.  Access control is disabled.

This is not logical.  The modem has absolutely no idea what devices are connected.  All the modem "sees" is one device: the user's router.  Every other device is completely hidden behind the router using Network Address Translation (NAT).

Message 21 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

Any ideas then what could be the cause of the issue?  I never had any problems with my older Netgear AC1900 router other than coverage.

Message 22 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

@jon96789 wrote:

Any ideas then what could be the cause of the issue?  I never had any problems with my older Netgear AC1900 router other than coverage.

When discussions get 'complicated', with lots of side-issues (RTS/CTS settings, modems, 753 vs. 763) I sometimes get confused about the current problem.

If the current issue is that enabling access control causes devices to lose internet, but leaving access control off does not, then I would turn off access control and get on with my life.  (I have not had access control on for six years.  When someone discovers my 25 character WiFi password, they are welcome to steal my internet.)

If access control is 'off' and some non-iOS devices are losing internet (but not every device!), I do not know of a solution.

The situation with Orbi AX products is a mess right now because a firmware update fiasco has redirected almost all Netgear resources to dealing with the catastrophe.  Users are reporting a number of issues with the 7xx, 8xx, and 9xx products and I have no idea how Netgear is coping with the confusing situation.

Message 23 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, but it is not only iOS devices that is dropping internet. The affected devices are an iPad, a Dell and a HP laptop and a LG TV...  Weird.

Message 24 of 25
jon96789
Aspirant

Just as a FYI... I rebooted the Arris SB6190 everything appears to be working.  I was planning to buy a new Arris SB8200 at BB but they are sold out right now. 

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7