Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What are the known issues with Orbi AX and Sonos?

MixMaster
Apprentice

What are the known issues with Orbi AX and Sonos?

I setup a new Orbi AX system last month and am very happy with the performance.  I have the RBK853, Router and two Satellites.  My WiFi speeds are incredible.  Having said that I also have a Sonos setup with a Sub, original Playbar and four Play 1's.  All of these were on WiFi a few days ago with only the Playbar connected via Ethernet to one of the Satellites.  I wanted to put the Playbar on WiFi as well and remove the Ethernet cable and I made the necessary changes in the Sonos app.  When I had trouble adding the Playbar to my Orbi WiFi network I called Sonos.  They said it is a known issue and sent me a list of ten things I should change in the Orbi setup.

I had no confidence in them suggesting this and instead power cycled the all of the speakers.  After waiting a minute I power them up.  It took a couple of times to join the WiFi network but it worked.  I have been using it successfully since then so my question is, are there known issues between Orbi AX and Sonos?  If so what are they and what should I look out for?  Is there anything I should change?

Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: What are the known issues with Orbi AX and Sonos?

Thanks for providing their recommendations.  It is clearly not specific to Orbi, or even Netgear. Appears to be a collection over a considerable period of time.  Imagine having a modern WiFi system that has choices for 2.4G of "b only", "b/g", and "b/g/n"!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
MixMaster
Apprentice

Sorry about that - I thought I was in that forum!

Best
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@MixMaster wrote:

It took a couple of times to join the WiFi network but it worked.  I have been using it successfully since then so my question is, are there known issues between Orbi AX and Sonos?  If so what are they and what should I look out for?

No. There are no "known issues" with regard to Sonos speakers. As you have found, they work with Orbi.  My own (highly biased, perhaps condescending) opinion is that some tech support people lack the intellectual and interpersonal skills for the job.  I once had a problem with my Spectrum "Tuning Adapter" (required for Tivo). They dispatched a technician who spent six hours at my house.  At the direction of Spectrum technical support, he replaced every piece of coax cable. Swapped out FOUR tuning adapters. Called Spectrum tech support again, and again (and again). And finally gave up saying,"I'm really sorry."

In desperation, I made one more call to Spectrum and got a woman who said, "oh, your account isn't coded correctly in the billing system." Click. "Try it now."  Problem solved.

I have only one Sonos speaker on my Orbi, and quite like it.

Message 4 of 6
MixMaster
Apprentice

I agree with you. When Sonos support told me there was a punch-list that I needed to verify I said I wasn't going to make changes for the sake of change. Ultimately it came down to power cycling the speakers and waiting two minutes to connect to Orbi. For those interested I am including the list below that Sonos wanted me to check on Orbi.
--------------------------------------------------
Thank you for getting in touch with us.
Here are router settings that need to be verified. You can contact your ISP or the manufacturer of the router for assistance.

a. Auto channel must be set to Off

b. Choose best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)

c. Set 2.4 Ghz channel bandwidth to 20MHz

d. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled

e. UPnP should be enabled

f. 802.11 band should be set to b/g/n

g. Airtime Fairness should be disabled

h. Multicast should be enabled

i. Disable/Unpause Parental Controls for the Sonos device/s

j. Disable AP or Client isolation
Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for providing their recommendations.  It is clearly not specific to Orbi, or even Netgear. Appears to be a collection over a considerable period of time.  Imagine having a modern WiFi system that has choices for 2.4G of "b only", "b/g", and "b/g/n"!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7