Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why can't Orbi RBK852 Handle wired backhaul properly?

Kielty
Star

Why can't Orbi RBK852 Handle wired backhaul properly?

I have been struggling with this issue for ages now.. My RBK852 system really struggles with handling wired backhaul.

I have 2 satellites connected to the RBR850 one wired and the other wireless as per the attached network map. The wired satellite is not in range of either the router or the other satellite. The network map is what it should look like with appropriate devices connected either wirelessly or wired to the appropriate RBR/RBS.

The issue comes when rebooting the router or a power cut. The Office AP which is wired shows magenta and disconnected when everything is back up and running. It seems to work though but connections are all showing as wired to the RBR850 not the RBS850. The wireless AP comes back online fine and connects wirelessly to the RBR850 as expected.

The only way i can get this back to proper configuration is to unlpug the wired connection from the Office AP to the RBR850 wait until the light on the Office AP blinks white and then plug the ethernet cable back in. This seems to force the router to see the RBR850/Office AP as a wired satellite.

This is such a pain - surely NG can get the satellites to communicate properly with each other.

FW is V4.6.3.9_2.0.50 on all.

Is anyone experiencing something similar, know a fix?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

How are the RBS connected to the RBR? Directly to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? If so, What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

That behavior may indicate a bad RBS, bad LAN cable, incorrect connection configuration, or incorrect FW version on the RBS. 

Something I've not seen with mine...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

How are the RBS connected to the RBR? Directly to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? If so, What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

That behavior may indicate a bad RBS, bad LAN cable, incorrect connection configuration, or incorrect FW version on the RBS. 

Something I've not seen with mine...

Message 2 of 6
Kielty
Star

Many thanks, no it’s a direct connection via Ethernet cable, no switch involved. Will try a different cable just to check..
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Also swap RBS around as well...

Message 4 of 6
Kielty
Star

Thanks I think it's the cable causing issues... changed the cable and all seems good for now👍

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that was all. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7