Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why can't satellite supply same speeds as backhaul

Markedly
Guide

Why can't satellite supply same speeds as backhaul

I have an AX6000 router and satellite, situated on the ground and first floors respectively (1st and 2nd for my cousins across the pond).  They're at opposite ends of the house, roughly 10 metres apart.  They're using wireless backhaul.

I'm getting very impressive wifi speeds throughout the two floors, and if I wire my PC and NAS to both units I've measured approx 800 Mbps across the wireless backhaul.

However, we have extended into the loft, so we now have 3 floors.  

What I don't understand is why are the wifi speeds on the top floor so poor?  They're between 2 and 20 Mbps.  I don't understand why a device on the top floor isn't connecting to the satellite on the floor below at speeds similar to the router-satellite connection. Shouldn't the 2nd 5Ghz band of the satellite have the same reach as the backhaul 5GHz band?

And if not, would there be benefit in adding an extra satellite to the top floor, or would the backhaul between the two satellites likely suffer similar speed issues?

Thanks

Mark

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Why can't satellite supply same speeds as backhaul

The 5G backhaul between router and satellite is 802.11ax, which provides higher bandwidth than 802.11ac. And the backhaul has four antennas, rather than two, for greater MIMO capability.  No 802.11ac user device will achieve the same maximum speed as the ax backhaul.

It sounds as though there is more building material attenuating the WiFi signal to the 3rd floor.

It would be useful to check the Orbi web interface, Attached Devices display to verify which Orbi unit the test device is using.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7