Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi 5 vs WiFi 6 with majority WiFi 5 devices

Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

WiFi 5 vs WiFi 6 with majority WiFi 5 devices

I'm looking forward to setup my home network. Entire home's on automation, so network will be extensive. I'll be installing Orbi Mesh WiFi. Currently almost all devices are WiFi 5. Over a period of time 25% devices might be WiFi 6 but majority would still be WiFi 5(automation).

1.Which one would provide better efficiency Orbi AC or Orbi AX? (in my case)

2. Is it that if a device is WiFi 5, then WiFi 5 router would provide better efficiency than WiFi 6 or would it be same in both?

*I'm asking because my majority devices would be WiFi 5 but, I want my network to be future ready.

Thanks.

@Orbi @Orbi6 

@Homenetwork @MyHomeNetwork 

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi 5 vs WiFi 6 with majority WiFi 5 devices

The AX is going to be more "efficient" just because it handles concurrent broadcasting better than wifi 5. 

And it should be backwards compatible. I'm running AX and haven't found a device I couldn't get connected so far. 

there was some initial issues with intel AX cards but that's been resolved. 

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if you started supporing AX on your devices then to take advantage of AX wifi, you would need a wifi 6 system so if you wanted to support AX for your devices, Orbi AX would be recommended. 

WiFi 6 has higher connection rates than Orbi AC, I don't see how Orbi AC would be better than Orbi AX. Also you need AX supporting devices to take advantage of Orbi AX high speed rates. 

The main difference is AX4200 is 600 + 1200 + 2400 and the AX6000 is 1200 + 2400 + 2400.

That's a 2.4GHz connection rate of 600Mbps vs 1200Mbps, but you might not be using 2.4GHz anyway, since multiple sources of 5GHz are usually better than one long range, congested 2.4GHz connection.

Then the local 5 GHz connection bandwidth available doubles from 1200Mbps to 2400Mbps, and finally the 2400Mbps for the wired backhaul remains the same.

Additionally, the AX6000 has support for 2.5Gbps ethernet from the WAN whereas AX4200 maxes at 1Gbps.

Please review the spec sheets between the Orbi AC and AX models to compare speeds.

Message 3 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

@Parth_Goyal wrote:

I'm looking forward to setup my home network. Entire home's on automation, so network will be extensive. I'll be installing Orbi Mesh WiFi. Currently almost all devices are WiFi 5. Over a period of time 25% devices might be WiFi 6 but majority would still be WiFi 5(automation).

1.Which one would provide better efficiency Orbi AC or Orbi AX? (in my case)

2. Is it that if a device is WiFi 5, then WiFi 5 router would provide better efficiency than WiFi 6 or would it be same in both?

*I'm asking because my majority devices would be WiFi 5 but, I want my network to be future ready.

Thanks.

The AX line, without a doubt, has overall better performance. I've noticed a drastic difference, even with WIFI5 devices having faster speeds and better performance. It's like having a 100Mbps internet and devices with 100Mbps network cards. Then you update the cards to 1Gbps and all of a sudden your performance level goes up. Even though your internet speed is 100Mbps, you can see a drastic difference. 

Add to that you now have WIFI6 compatibility. My WIFI6 devices are much faster. For instance my laptop had a 350 to 400 Mbps WIFI speed. Now it has over 800Mbps constant speed. I just checked by WIFI6 compatible phone and I am at 780Mbps vs. 340 average before.

Message 4 of 11
Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

So, as per my setup where there would around 100 lighting automation circuits, 50 IOT devices like cameras, security & sensors and 50 personal devices such as mobiles, PCs & TVs. Where majority would be WiFi5 as mentioned above. What should I go forward with? Is RBK750 a great choice.

Thanks

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you can find a place that as a good refund policy, get a Orbi AX system and try it out. if you don't like it, then you get return it. 

Message 6 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

@Parth_Goyal wrote:

So, as per my setup where there would around 100 lighting automation circuits, 50 IOT devices like cameras, security & sensors and 50 personal devices such as mobiles, PCs & TVs. Where majority would be WiFi5 as mentioned above. What should I go forward with? Is RBK750 a great choice.

Thanks

I personally own an RBK753 system (1 router, 2 satellites). So if you need 1 router and 1 satellite the RBK50 is an excellent choice.

If you need more coverage go with the RBK753, a little more power, go with the RBK850 or 853 for more power and coverage.

Message 7 of 11
Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

I'll be having around 100 lighting automation circuits, 50 IOT devices such as Cameras, security & alexas and 50 persnal devices such as mobiles, TVs & PCs.

Message 8 of 11
Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

So, which one shall I use RBK750 or RBK850 in my case?

Message 9 of 11
Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

Message 10 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

@Parth_Goyal wrote:

@Mstrbig @FURRYe38 

The model you pick would be based on your sq footage and features, as well as price. If money is no issue and you favor the 

This may help you make up your mind:

https://seekingtech.com/orbi-wi-fi-6-system-ax4200-rbk752-vs-ax6000-rbk852/

From the page:

The RBK852 provides better speeds when connecting to the internet with up to 1200 Mbps at 2.4 GHz and 2400 Mbps at 5 GHz. In comparison, the RBK752’s internet speeds can be up to 600 Mbps at 2.4 GHz and 1200 Mbps at 5 GHz. The RBK852 comes with more LAN Gigabit Ethernet ports as well.

Otherwise, the two devices are identical as both can cover up to 5000 square feet in addition to supporting Beamforming and MU-MIMO.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7