Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi internet drops when I plug ethernet into RBS850

CrazyEddie
Apprentice

WiFi internet drops when I plug ethernet into RBS850

I have an Orbi system with one RBR850 and two RBS850s. I plugged an ethernet cable into the back of one of the satellites in order to access the internet with a laptop with a bad WiFi driver (long story). The laptop was able to then access the internet, but connecting to the RBS seems to cause the WiFi for the house to work but without any internet access. Everything returns to normal (except the RBS in question remains "out of sync" - even after powering it down and also pushing the Sync button).

Is there a way to connect to the satellite with an ethernet cable without messing up internet for the WiFi? And do I need to do something special to re-sync the satellite - like powering down or rebooting the router?

My firmware is v. 4.6.3.16 and all firmware is shown as up to date.

Message 1 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What CAT# cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

Is the RBS connected to the back of the RBR directly or is there a LAN switch or patch panel in between the RBR and RBS? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Message 2 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

Thank you for such a quick reply. It is a CAT6 cable.

I looked at the link below for backhaul and I'm not sure that applies to my setup. My RBR is not connected to the RBS by any physical connection - just wirelessly. The RBR is connected to my Netgear modem by ethernet. The RBS in question is on a different floor from the RBR. My only reason to connect to the RBS with an ethernet cable is because this particular laptop no longer has WiFi capability and I was hoping to be able to connect to the RBS for an ethernet connection to the internet.

Message 3 of 28
plemans
Guru

Have you tested other devices other than just the 1 laptop?

Message 4 of 28
CrimpOn
Guru

@CrazyEddie wrote:

The laptop was able to then access the internet, but connecting to the RBS seems to cause the WiFi for the house to work but without any internet access. Everything returns to normal (except the RBS in question remains "out of sync" - even after powering it down and also pushing the Sync button).

Could you provide a little more detail about the sequence of events:

• The laptop is plugged in and has internet access.
    Does it continue to have internet access as long as it is plugged in?
  • When the laptop is plugged in, what happens to other devices which are connected to any of the Orbi units with ethernet?
  • Every device connected with WiFi immediately loses internet?
  • What is going on with the satellite that the laptop is connected to?
    It must be still working because the laptop has internet, or
    The satellite immediately shows "out of sync" even though the laptop continues to work?
  • When does everything return to normal?
    When the laptop is disconnected?
    Just by itself, except when everything else starts working again, the satellite goes "out of sync"?
  •  
Message 5 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

And what CAT# cables are you using to connect the RBS? Check your LAN cables as well. These can cause problems. You may have a ARP storm happening that would cause the network to go down. 

@CrazyEddie wrote:

I looked at the link below for backhaul and I'm not sure that applies to my setup. My RBR is not connected to the RBS by any physical connection - just wirelessly. The RBR is connected to my Netgear modem by ethernet. The RBS in question is on a different floor from the RBR. My only reason to connect to the RBS with an ethernet cable is because this particular laptop no longer has WiFi capability and I was hoping to be able to connect to the RBS for an ethernet connection to the internet.

Message 6 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

Tested in what way? I've only plugged in this laptop via an ethernet cable, as it is the only laptop or device that has this WiFi problem. I have tested other devices when the laptop is plugged in - phones, TV and other laptops are all unable to access the internet after the laptop is plugged in. Those other devices are able to access the internet after the laptop is unplugged and the satellite is powered off and on.

Message 7 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Have you tried connecting the laptop to the other RBS and same thing happen there? 

Message 8 of 28
plemans
Guru

@CrazyEddie wrote:

Tested in what way? I've only plugged in this laptop via an ethernet cable, as it is the only laptop or device that has this WiFi problem. I have tested other devices when the laptop is plugged in - phones, TV and other laptops are all unable to access the internet after the laptop is plugged in. Those other devices are able to access the internet after the laptop is unplugged and the satellite is powered off and on.

More curious if its the laptop causing the issue or the satellite. If other things hardwired into the satellite work fine, I'd be looking closer at the laptop than the satellite. Or even try a cheap usb---ethernet adapter. Maybe the adapter built into the laptop is bad and causing a loop/other issue. 

Message 9 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@CrazyEddie wrote:

The laptop was able to then access the internet, but connecting to the RBS seems to cause the WiFi for the house to work but without any internet access. Everything returns to normal (except the RBS in question remains "out of sync" - even after powering it down and also pushing the Sync button).

Could you provide a little more detail about the sequence of events:

• The laptop is plugged in and has internet access.  Correct
    Does it continue to have internet access as long as it is plugged in? Correct
  • When the laptop is plugged in, what happens to other devices which are connected to any of the Orbi units with ethernet? There are no other devices connected to any Orbi units via ethernet.
  • Every device connected with WiFi immediately loses internet?  As far as I can tell. I have a lot of devices, but the phone in my hand and TV in the same room went out.
  • What is going on with the satellite that the laptop is connected to? It seems to be unaffected
    It must be still working because the laptop has internet, or
    The satellite immediately shows "out of sync" even though the laptop continues to work?  I have not watched the Orbi online interface as I'm plugging in - I haven't repeated it since I figured out the correlation, as I can't keep knocking out WiFi internet due to other obligations
  • When does everything return to normal?
    When the laptop is disconnected? yes, after the laptop is disconnected and the satellite is powered down and back on - except it still shows as "Out of Sync" under Backhaul Status. The satellite does not show any blinking or other lights.
    Just by itself, except when everything else starts working again, the satellite goes "out of sync"?
  •  

Message 10 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And what CAT# cables are you using to connect the RBS? The laptop is connected via Cat6. There is no other wired connetion to the RBS. Check your LAN cables as well. I am not using a LAN cable. These can cause problems. You may have a ARP storm happening that would cause the network to go down. 

@CrazyEddie wrote:

Message 11 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Have you tried connecting the laptop to the other RBS and same thing happen there? 

I don't understand the relevance of the question, as the system was working flawlessly before plugging the laptop into the RBS. I have three floors and three units - RBS in the basement, RBR in question on the main floor and another RBR in the upstairs. There may be less than 30 feet between them, but each has a good bit of building material.

I have not tried connecting the laptop to the other RBS, as I want to figure out the solution before I repeat the problem.

Message 12 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I woulld try the Laptop connected to the other RBS to see if the problem follows, if it does, then you'll know it's the laptop. 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Having RBR and RBS too close can cause problems or having them too far away. 

Message 13 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@plemans wrote:

@CrazyEddie wrote:

More curious if its the laptop causing the issue or the satellite. If other things hardwired into the satellite work fine, I'd be looking closer at the laptop than the satellite. Or even try a cheap usb---ethernet adapter. Maybe the adapter built into the laptop is bad and causing a loop/other issue. 

It would not surprise me if it is the laptop. Before yesterday it was fine, then work IT had me reset the network settings and it blew out the WiFi driver, and even after a reinstall of the driver it won't work. One additional fact - when I plugged the same laptop directly into my cabel modem, the laptop was unable to access the network or internet - but it worked when plugged into the satellite. There are no other things plugged into the satellite by hardwire. I can try to dig out an older MacBook with an ethernet cable to see if that can connect to the same satellite, but at this point, unless I'm doing something obviously wrong as far as a setting for an ethernet connection to a satellite, I may just leave well enough alone - and try to figure out how to get the backhaul status back in sync.

Message 14 of 28
CrimpOn
Guru

@CrazyEddie wrote:

What is going on with the satellite that the laptop is connected to? It seems to be unaffected
  • It must be still working because the laptop has internet, or
    The satellite immediately shows "out of sync" even though the laptop continues to work?  I have not watched the Orbi online interface as I'm plugging in - I haven't repeated it since I figured out the correlation, as I can't keep knocking out WiFi internet due to other obligations
  •  

Thanks for the information.  Sort of a "Catch 22" because investigating the problem can interrupt internet access.  Further diagnosis may have to wait until everyone else is asleep.

Just a silly question: On the laptop, has the WiFi adapter been disabled in network settings?

Message 15 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I woulld try the Laptop connected to the other RBS to see if the problem follows, if it does, then you'll know it's the laptop. 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Having RBR and RBS too close can cause problems or having them too far away. 

So bizarre - I just plugged the laptop into the other (top floor) satellite and the laptop has internet access and WiFi internet is still working. The other satellite backhaul status shows as "Good" and the first satellite (the one I plugged in is still "Out of Sync"). I did neglect to mention that the top floor satellite *does* have a device connected by ethernet - an Apple Time Capsule. The laptop does NOT show up as a connected device, however.

Message 16 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Does devices appear on the working RBS web page under Connected devices here? 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Message 17 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does devices appear on the working RBS web page under Connected devices here? 

I *think* I understand your question - strangely, almost every device in the house, whether on the top or main floor, is now showing as being connected to the router (in the basement). No devices are shown as being connected to the satellite that is "Out of Sync" (the one into which I plugged the laptop that caused the problem). There is only one device that is showing up as being connected to the top floor satellite (the one into which the laptop is now connected) - an Apple iPad that is right next to the top floor satellite. Interestingly, this MacBook and my iPhone, which are also within 3 feet of the top floor satellite, are showing up as being connected to the router in the basement.

Message 18 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

Update - now not a single device in the entire house, and there are some on every floor, is attached to EITHER satellite. Perhaps the one on the main floor is still messed up from when I plugged in the questionable laptop. And the one that I'm plugged into now doesn't have anything connected, including three Apple devices that are within a few feet. All devices remain connected to the router in the basement (two floors below where I am now).

After I get off of a video call, I will go power down the modem, router and both satellites and see if anything changes.

Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Also may need to review this and give it a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 20 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  I would guess ~5k give or take. But I'm again not sure of the relevance, at least with this issue.
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?  I would estimate ~20 feet (diagonally through one floor) from RBR to RBS, and then another ~20 feet (diagonally, the other way) through a floor and another wall.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Checking this link out now.

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

@CrazyEddie wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  I would guess ~5k give or take. But I'm again not sure of the relevance, at least with this issue.
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?  I would estimate ~20 feet (diagonally through one floor) from RBR to RBS, and then another ~20 feet (diagonally, the other way) through a floor and another wall.

20feet is TOO close between the RBR and RBS. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Checking this link out now.

Message 22 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

I'm estimating, and I also told you there are floors and walls between them, so please clarify "dependong upon building materials". Also, there was no problem with my setup before the laptop was plugged into a single satellite, so I'm going to repeat that I personally do not think this is the issue.

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Concrete and steel will impact signals vs Wood and sheet rock. 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS and connect the laptop to the RBR? Same thing? Then try turning ON 1 RBS and connect the laptop to the RBS. Same thing? 

Message 24 of 28
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Concrete and steel will impact signals vs Wood and sheet rock. 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS and connect the laptop to the RBR? Same thing? Then try turning ON 1 RBS and connect the laptop to the RBS. Same thing? 

I decided to try to be more precise with my distance and I am now pretty confident that no single device is within 30 feet, even just laterally, of another device.

After using the laptop wired to the top floor RBS, I moved it to another corner of the house to maximize the distance. I then checked the Orbi web interface and now both satellites show "Good" on backhaul status, and at least one device is connected to each of the satellites. It's almost like everything just magically went back to normal.  (I have yet to reset the modem or RBR.)

The only sort of odd thing that remains is that it seems like many of my devices are still connected to the router instead of a satellite, even when the device is right next to a satellite. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with how the system works and this is normal?

Apart from the immediately preceding paragraph, I'm *assuming* that all is now well.... Knock on wood... Thanks to all who have chimed in so quickly!

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7