Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi range problem

mike807
Aspirant

Wifi range problem

I've had the RBR850 and 1 satellite for a year now. I also have google fiber with a 1gig plan. I live in an 1100 square foot home and recently i stopped getting wifi signal in my bathroom. both the router and the satellite are no more than 20 feet away from the bathroom and up until recently i got a full wifi signal in the bathroom. I havent changed any router configurations nor have a remodeled my bathroom or added anything that would add to signal interefreence. I am at a loss as to why i suddenly cant get a signal 20 feet away where i previoulst had really fast wifi. 

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try turning OFF the 1 RBS. Reboot the RBR and check the room area. 

Message 2 of 6
mike807
Aspirant

thank you for your response. the router and satellite are more than 30 feet apart. i am on firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9. i will try turning off the satellite and restarting the router. its strange to me that nothing has changed and all of a sudden i get no wifi at all in the bathroom which is inbetween the router and satellite. a drop in signal in the bathroom because of building materials would be understandable but i get no wifi at all. i live in a 1950's bungalo. barely any insulation and definetely no thick walls. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya having the RBS too close to the RBR can cause problems. For that size of home, the RBR should be enough to cover the home. 

Message 4 of 6
mike807
Aspirant

thank you. restarting the satelite seemed to have fixed that bathroom wifi problem amd i can probably move the devices a little further apart. The satelite helps with wifi lighting in my backyard and to get wifi in a workshop in the backyard. But ya the RBR should be enough to cover the house. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can't get the RBR and RBS farther appart, try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7