Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wire vs. Orbi

EdinMyakka
Aspirant

Wire vs. Orbi

I am looking to improve speeds in my home and I started by investigating getting the house wired for Ethernet.  The guy who came in sugggested that I investigate the Orbi system.  

Frankly, plugging a machine into a router in one place has an appeal.  I heve seen in these forums connectvity and other technical issues that I really do not care to get involved with.  Are they commonplace?  

So my question is, cost aside, why Orbi and not wire?  Put another way, if you could snap your fingers and, for no cost, replce your orbi with wire, would you?

Message 1 of 7
gwbaker
Guide

Re: Wire vs. Orbi

In short, no.

Yes wire is supreme for sure.  But, your network is likely changing from time to time and you will have to rewire each time.  If you dont wire entirely new ports you will likely start adding multiple remote switches which can cause traffic jambs down the line if not implemented well.

So, I would go with a mix of both.  You can get a three pack orbi system, wire the three together for the backhaul.  Each has several switched ports that will give you a true wired connection if you wire the Obri's together.  Then you will have the best of borth worlds.

I just wired my base orbi to one of my satellites and I am quite pleased with it.  I would like to wire the second satellite, but it is two stories above the base and I have not yet figured an "easy" route for the wire.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi works well for both wired and wiresless. Orbi or any wifi MESH system do have particulars that can cause problems. Placement, building materials and distances are key factors in any wifi MESH system. 

@EdinMyakka wrote:

I am looking to improve speeds in my home and I started by investigating getting the house wired for Ethernet.  The guy who came in sugggested that I investigate the Orbi system.  

Frankly, plugging a machine into a router in one place has an appeal.  I heve seen in these forums connectvity and other technical issues that I really do not care to get involved with.  Are they commonplace?  

So my question is, cost aside, why Orbi and not wire?  Put another way, if you could snap your fingers and, for no cost, replce your orbi with wire, would you?

Message 3 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

@EdinMyakka wrote:

Since my home is spread out with 2 buildings, I went with an Orbi router and 2 satellite system and hardwired my satellites, 1 in the office building and the other on the second floor of the main building, with the router on the first floor. I have multiple port switched connected to the router and satellites as I have a combination of many wired and wireless devices. Most all PCs are wired along with a couple of TVs, cameras, receivers and Android boxes. Tablets, laptops, phones, Echos, smart devices, other TVs, 1 PC, firesticks, thermostats, and printers are wireless. 

I have the best of both worlds as I could not live with only a wired connection. My speeds both wired and wireless are excellent. 

So to answer your question "why Orbi and not wired": Orbi gives me wired flexibility and a great WIFI blanket throughout my home, which is needed, if you want to be able to use the latest technology. I would not replace my Orbi.

Message 4 of 7
EdinMyakka
Aspirant

So for a 4000 sqft home on one level, this would work well?

Inside walls are plasterboard, byw.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RBK753-High-Performance-System-Satellites/dp/B08BX4LTSF/ref=sr_1_4?cr...

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Though you might try with just 1 RBS deployed first. 

Message 6 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

@EdinMyakka wrote:

So for a 4000 sqft home on one level, this would work well?

Inside walls are plasterboard, byw.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RBK753-High-Performance-System-Satellites/dp/B08BX4LTSF/ref=sr_1_4?cr...

I have the exact same system and it covers my 2 story home completely. I am sure it will cover your home well, providing you space out the router and satellites. On a 1 story 4000 sq ft home, depending on how long and deep the home is, you could place 1 unit on each end and one in the middle of your home for great WIFI coverage. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7