Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired connections not working with Dynamic DNS

bpaskin
Aspirant

Wired connections not working with Dynamic DNS

I have a weird connection issue that only happens with wired connections.  Wireless connections are fine.  I have a RBR850 router and RBS850 satellite, but I am only concerned about the router.  Both are running firmware V3.2.16.6.  

I setup the router to update my DynDNS IP from the modem, and that works fine.  No issues with that.  However, when trying to access the DNS name through any wired computer does not work.  It does not matter if it is ssh, web browser, sftp, nothing workings.  Everything works fine using wireless.  Going directly to the IP Address of the machine works, as well.  

I have several Linux, Mac machines, printer, and a NAS hooked into the router via a netgear 8 port switch.  Doing a nslookup of the DNS name fines it fine and has the correct IP Address.  

This setup was working with my Nighthawk router.

Setup:

coax > modem > router
wired devices > switch > router 

Thanks for any suggestions.  Brian

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wired connections not working with Dynamic DNS

Does directly connecting the PC to the back of the RBR change anything?

Message 2 of 12
bpaskin
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.  It is working directly, so it must be the switch somehow.  The interesting thing is that the switch (GS108E) works with the Nightwawk (R7800) fine.  I restested and not an issue.  So something about the Orbi doesn't like what is happening on the switch.

Brian

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The 108E is a smart managed switch. Manged switches are known to cause problems. 

Try disabling IGMP protocols and any green ethernet features on this switch if they are accessible. 

I can confirm the NGs GS 105/108v4 (non E version) switchs work with Orbi AX. Also D-Links DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series work fine as well.  

Message 4 of 12
Chuck_M
Mentor

To clarify, you are saying you cannot reach local (LAN) assets using the dynamic dns name (e.g. myhouse.ddns.net) -- but you can reach them when you are outside of the LAN?

Message 5 of 12
Mikey94025
Hero

Message 6 of 12
bpaskin
Aspirant

Yes, that is correct.

Message 7 of 12
bpaskin
Aspirant

Yeah, I ordered a new switch that is arriving today.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Which model and mfr switch did you order? 

@bpaskin wrote:

Yeah, I ordered a new switch that is arriving today.

Message 9 of 12
bpaskin
Aspirant

Netgear GS308 unmanaged switch.  It has arrived, I will replace the other one later this evening.

Brian

Message 10 of 12
bpaskin
Aspirant

New switch did not help.  

Would anyone recommend a different switch that works with loopback witht the Orbi?

Brian

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if NG GS 1 series v4 will work in that regard. I do have mine set up with a segment thats daisy changed to my RBS. A 108 and two 105s then RBS...there a quick way I can check this to maybe help find out? 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7