Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Won't allow my 2.4ghz gadgets to connect

tomhaines29
Tutor

Won't allow my 2.4ghz gadgets to connect

Following the steps to turn off the 5gHz network still doesn't allow me to connect a LaCrosse Weather station that requires a 2.4 gHz network during initial set up. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Won't allow my 2.4ghz gadgets to connect

iphones are a little harder to change the ssid (wireless name). 

What I meant by it is that if you set your iphone's hotspot with the exact same ssid/password as the router, it should auto connect back to the router when you disable the hotspot. (you need to have the router shut off while doing this)

If you didn't change your phone's hotspot ssid (name) and password to the exact same as the router, it won't auto-connect. 

How to Change the Hotspot Name on Your iPhone (businessinsider.com)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
tomhaines29
Tutor

Re: rbr750 won't allow my 2.4ghz gadgets to connect - annoyed - help?

By the way, mine is an Orbi RBR750.

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

Turning off the ssid broadcast doesn't disable the 5ghz radio. 

2 things to try. 

1. disable wpa3 on the router. maybe the lights don't support it or have issues with it

2. shut off the router/satellites. Turn your mobile hotspot on (a different phone) and set it with the same exact ssid/password as the router. connect the weather station and get it through setup. Once thats done, shut off the hotspot and turn the router back on. 

Message 3 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

Try setting your CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 to maximize compatibility with older wireless devices:

1. Go to the web admin portal at http://orbilogin.com/
  2. Click to the Advanced tab, Advanced left menu, Wireless Settings
  3. Set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both 2.4hz and 5Ghz networks
  4. Press Apply

See if that helps.  If problems still persist, next try disabling AX mode for the 2.4Ghz band:

1. Go to http://orbilogin.com/
  2. Click to the Advanced tab, Setup left menu, Wireless Setup
  3. Uncheck "Enable 2.4G" under the top Enable AX section
  4. Press Apply
Message 4 of 9
tomhaines29
Tutor

Thank you for the ideas. No. 1 did not work. No. 2 kind of worked in that I used my wife's phone as a cellular hotspot and connected my phone to it and used that to access the weather station app. It did make the connection and proivded the weather data to the app on my phone. However, as I anticipated, it only lasted as long as my wife's hotspot stayed on and my phone was connected to it. I didn't understand what you meant when you said to enter the SSID and password for the WiFi network as the hot spot. When I try to use a hot spot it uses cellular data and no place to put in SSID. What am I missing? Thanks again.

Message 5 of 9
tomhaines29
Tutor

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them worked. If you have other ideas, I would appreciate it.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

iphones are a little harder to change the ssid (wireless name). 

What I meant by it is that if you set your iphone's hotspot with the exact same ssid/password as the router, it should auto connect back to the router when you disable the hotspot. (you need to have the router shut off while doing this)

If you didn't change your phone's hotspot ssid (name) and password to the exact same as the router, it won't auto-connect. 

How to Change the Hotspot Name on Your iPhone (businessinsider.com)

Message 7 of 9
tomhaines29
Tutor

Wow! Thanks! This worked. I shut down the router and satellite. Changed my wife's iPhone SSID to be the same as our home WiFI SSID. Changed her hot spot password to match the home WiFi password. I then connected my iPhone to her hot spot and then connected the weather app on my phone to the weather display via the app. It transferred the data correctly. And then, after a few minutes, I turned the router back on and connected to the WiFi network per normal and the weather display has remained connected and is updating the app--just like it is supposed to. Thanks again for the assistance. I am most grateful.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements