Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Work laptop can’t see Wi-Fi network RBK852

Rexhunt
Follower

Work laptop can’t see Wi-Fi network RBK852

For some reason when I replaced the Orbi hardware with the new RBK852 all other devices had no problem connecting to the network except for my work laptop that can’t see the network.

Any idea what could be causing this?
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model of this laptop? 

What is the Mfr and model of the wifi adapter built into this laptop? 

What OS platform is installed? 

Ensure the wifi drivers are updated for the laptop. 

Disable AX mode on the RBR...

Message 2 of 20
ekhalil
Master

1. Which wifi radio channels does your Orbi have when you have this issue? Some wifi adapters in laptops don't accept the higher wifi channels.
  2. Which laptop and wifi adapter are you using?
  3. Some settings can be changed in Windows under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections, like the wireless mode, 802.11AC support, Channel width. What values do you have in those settings? Please see attached snapshot.

Message 3 of 20
matt7277
Aspirant

I noticed the same exact issue! I previously had the Orbi RBR50/RBS50 system and the laptop (Lenovo Think pad 4xx series) worked just fine. After replacing the entire Orbi system with the new AX WiFi 6 Orbi system, the laptop can no longer see the SSID in the available wifi connections on Windows 10 Enterprise

Message 4 of 20
schumaku
Guru

Some older 802.11ac wireless device drivers (e.g. from Inhell) won't see or connect to the 802.11ax access points uless the drivers are current.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html might help - permitting you have the privileges required on your business computer.

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Rexhunt wrote:
For some reason when I replaced the Orbi hardware with the new RBK852 all other devices had no problem connecting to the network except for my work laptop that can’t see the network.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Message 6 of 20
whoDean
Guide

I’m in the same boat.

50+ devices including all my Apple gear (MacBook Pro included) connecting great, 1 2-3 year old Asus Windows laptop won’t even see any networks created by the RBK852
Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX mode temporarily on the RBR.

Be sure the wifi drivers for this laptop are up to date. 

Try disabling the WPA security on the RBR as a quick test. try to connect. Re-enabled WPA2 and AES after testing. 

Message 8 of 20
ekhalil
Master

@whoDean wrote:
I’m in the same boat.

50+ devices including all my Apple gear (MacBook Pro included) connecting great, 1 2-3 year old Asus Windows laptop won’t even see any networks created by the RBK852

The only reason I see causing this is that Orbi is transmitting on 2.4 and 5 GHz channels that the laptop does not support.

Please check which channels Orbi is on, and that the laptop support those channels. 

Message 9 of 20
Tangmu
Star

I have two Lenovo notebooks, and after replacing Orbi Pro with the RBK852, I had the same result several people reported in this thread.  One worked fine, the other could not see the SSID, even though it was the same as the old router.

What worked for me was removing the WiFi from device manager, and also deleting the driver.  Then reboot using hotspot from my phone, Windows updated the WiFi driver, and then it could see the SSID again.

Message 10 of 20
whoDean
Guide

I had to connect to a different wifi network, download an Intel driver updater utility and update the wifi driver.  Works now.

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad updating the wifi driver helped. Thanks for letting us know 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@whoDean wrote:

I had to connect to a different wifi network, download an Intel driver updater utility and update the wifi driver.  Works now.

Message 12 of 20
Tangmu
Star

I also had a Thinkpad that couldn't see my SSID with the RBK852.  I had success the same as reported in this thread - get the latest WiFi drivers and re-install.  have seen the same thing in a number of threads, so just adding a post so it'll be easy for people to find.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Tangmu wrote:

I also had a Thinkpad that couldn't see my SSID with the RBK852.  I had success the same as reported in this thread - get the latest WiFi drivers and re-install.  have seen the same thing in a number of threads, so just adding a post so it'll be easy for people to find.

Message 14 of 20
PeteLanglois
Initiate

@schumaku wrote:

Some older 802.11ac wireless device drivers (e.g. from Inhell) won't see or connect to the 802.11ax access points uless the drivers are current.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html might help - permitting you have the privileges required on your business computer.

After updating to the latest Intel drivers, my Orbi is seen on my wife's Lenovo Ideapad 310 now.  Thanks!

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 20
nalvares
Initiate

Thank-you, I had same issue with my Lenovo X1 Carbon that has an Intel AC 7265 wifi solution. After I updated to the latest Intel driver, my laptop started to see the Orbi network!

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that fixed it. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@nalvares wrote:

Thank-you, I had same issue with my Lenovo X1 Carbon that has an Intel AC 7265 wifi solution. After I updated to the latest Intel driver, my laptop started to see the Orbi network!

Message 18 of 20
vstringer
Aspirant

Same problem - wife's 2-3 year old ASUS laptop (Intel AC 7265 wireless adapter) would not recognize SSID for RBK852, which was the same as previous ORBI, while 30+ other devices connected without problem.

Tried uninstalling wireless adapter and reinstalling, AND updating drivers through Windows driver update, which said I already had most up-to-date drivers installed. Didn't work.

Went to Intel site and downloaded latest Wifi drivers (WIN64 version) manually and installed, and now laptop recognizes network SSID and connects blazingly fast.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it fixed the problem. Enjoy. 😉 

@vstringer wrote:

Same problem - wife's 2-3 year old ASUS laptop (Intel AC 7265 wireless adapter) would not recognize SSID for RBK852, which was the same as previous ORBI, while 30+ other devices connected without problem.

Tried uninstalling wireless adapter and reinstalling, AND updating drivers through Windows driver update, which said I already had most up-to-date drivers installed. Didn't work.

Went to Intel site and downloaded latest Wifi drivers (WIN64 version) manually and installed, and now laptop recognizes network SSID and connects blazingly fast.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7