Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox causing RBR850 to reboot

ViPaDawG
Tutor

Xbox causing RBR850 to reboot

So I've had an RBK852 since release, and though it's had some issues, generally it's been working well for my needs.

Recently, I got an Xbox One X, and this is where some troubles have started.

I've noticed that on Wednesdays (don't ask why Wednesdays) when playing on Xbox Live, my router likes to reboot itself. It never stays on. It will come back after reboot, work fine for 1-15 minutes, and then sporadically reboot again. It got to the point where I just tethered to my iPhone's LTE connection to have a solid connection. 

Details: Xbox One X connected via Cat6 ethernet cable to D-Link unmanaged ethernet switch, which is then connected to RBR850. The RBR850 is connected to a Comcast Technicolor CGM4140COM in bridge mode. The router and satellite were running 3.2.10.11 when the issue initially presented. 

Troubleshooting steps taken (did not rectify issue):

1. Tried Xbox One X direct connected to RBR850. 

2. Tried different ethernet cable (known good cable - used with PS4 with no issues.

3. Thought there might be ethernet switch issues, assigned Static IPs to all 40 devices on network to prevent any IP Conflicts

4. Tried Xbox One X via Wi-Fi.

5. Put Xbox One X into Network DMZ

6. Updated Router and Satellite to 3.2.11.2

None of the steps above worked. The Xbox (and only the Xbox) would cause the router to reboot intermittently when playing over Xbox Live. This happened on Wednesdays in particular. Gamed other nights for hours and no issues. This is weird, but it seems to only do it on Wednesdays. Again, may be completely unrelated.

Finally, what has so far worked for me, is I set the Orbi up as an AP and am using the Comcast Gateway as my router. Generally no issues. Everything is still connected to the Orbi (both ethernet and Wi-Fi) and the Orbi is running to a single ethernet port on the Comcast Gateway. I do have the Xbox in the Comcast Gateway's DMZ to keep an Open NAT. 

Anyone have any advice? The last solution is working, but not my preference as I can't set DNS at the router level on the Comcast Router and I lose some of the functionality and tracking the Orbi provides. 

The only things I feel left to try are: Complete factory reset of both Orbi router and satellite. Rollback to 3.2.9.2 (very stable firmware for me) and see if that makes a difference. Beyond that, can it be chalked up to a hardware issue? None of my other devices (laptops, iPhones, iPads, gaming consoles, IoT devices) cause this issue. It's solely the Xbox. Never seen anything like this in my years of home networking. Any feedback/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I don't have xbox one X, though I have 2 xbox ones and never saw my RBR reboot while in router mode with v10.11 loaded. Actually v10.11 was the first version of FW for me that I was able to use the RBR in router mode since all prior versions of FW caused strict NAT issues when in router mode. I've had to run the RBR in AP Mode since day one up to that version of FW. However v10.11 breaks RBS status reporting in AP Mode when the RBS is connected to a LAN switch. IF it's not one thing its another. 

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Hard power OFF the xbox but pressing the front power button on holding it until the xbox turns OFF.

Complete the setup process and consfigure router mode and be sure the modem is bridged fully.

After the RBR is configured, reboot the RBR one more time then directly wire the xbox to the RBR. 

Power ON the xbox. See if the RBR reboots. If it does, I would revert back to last working version of FW. 

Be sure if you configure AP mode, DO NOT USE DMZ or IP PASSTHRU on the modem for the Orbi system in AP Mode. 

I would make contact with NG support and ask them to help you capture debug logs of your xbox turning on and the RBR rebooting. However not sure if that will work since debug logs are cleared during a reboot. Smiley Frustrated

@ErnestTheGreat 

@Christian_R 

Message 2 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ViPaDawG

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information FURRYe38 provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@ViPaDawG 

I loaded the most current version of FW on my RBR v15.25 and both connect to the RBR succesfully in router mode now. Both have OPEN NAT on there networking settings. No reboots seen.

Pleaset update your RBR and factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. 

Let us know if this changes anything.

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 20
ViPaDawG
Tutor

Trying it out now. Will report back if I see the reboot happen again.

FWIW, running in AP mode with my Comcast gateway eliminated the issue completely. So worst case I just go back to that if this is unsuccessful.
Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good, please let us know what you see in router mode. Be sure to use the DMZ on the ISP modem/router or fully bridge the modem then set the RBR for router mode or I would factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Message 6 of 20
Trebuin
Aspirant

I suspect I may be running into the same xbox issue but with a standard xbox 1.  I have mine rigged similarly but have already tried the factory reset (not pin method).  There was also a lot of reboots with my desktop connected via cable...since unplugging that, the reboots are much more infrequent.

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@Trebuin wrote:

I suspect I may be running into the same xbox issue but with a standard xbox 1.  I have mine rigged similarly but have already tried the factory reset (not pin method).  There was also a lot of reboots with my desktop connected via cable...since unplugging that, the reboots are much more infrequent.

Message 8 of 20
Trebuin
Aspirant

RBK853 v3.2.15.25.  So far no reboots today.  I did a pin reset on both the router and sat.  

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 10 of 20
ViPaDawG
Tutor

So I've been running the latest FW and so far so good. I'll update this topic if I have issues in the future, but I think it's safe to say it's resolved.

Message 11 of 20
Trebuin
Aspirant

Which version is that?
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

v15.25 is most corrent version.

@Trebuin wrote:
Which version is that?

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 20
ViPaDawG
Tutor

So I am unresolving this post.

Had the issue spring up twice. Tried through firmware .25. Haven't tried .32, but I'm not optimistic.

My only consistent solution is to use the Xfinity Modem as the router and use the Orbi RBK852 as APs. 

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try v32 then factory reset the entire system. SInce you have a router in front of the RBR, this maybe the the problem. I connected my xbox the other day to my RBR850 in router mode. No issues seen with mine. Thought NAT Filter is still broke on v32. Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 20
ViPaDawG
Tutor

What’s the best way to factory reset both Router and Satellite? Going through the web admin? Using the Orbi app? Holding the switch on the router? Is there an order to doing it?

Thanks!
Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I've alwayed used the web page on the RBR and press the reset button the RBS for 15 seconds then release. You can do same on RBR if you like. 

I tend to reset the RBR and setup that up from scratch and get it up and running first. Then after the RBR is up and running, add the RBS later.

Message 18 of 20
ViPaDawG
Tutor

Thank you.

I did a factory reset, put my new Comcast XB7 modem in bridge mode and set up my RBK852 from scratch.

Gave the xbox a static ip, put the Xbox in DMZ, disabled SIP ALG, and set the CTS back to 2347. 

Played for a few hours tonight and didn't have any issues. Fingers crossed everything works.

Will update again if any issues crop up. 

Sidenote, updated to Comcast's Gigabit service. Really glad to take advantage of the 2.5Gbps port and see 1.2Gbps down! Wild!

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend not use DMZ for the xbox. Its not needed and dangerous. I've never disaabled SIP either. 

Sounds like the double NAT issue may have been playing a roll in this. 

Mark your thread as solved as well. 

Enjoy. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7