Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connection issues with rbr750

dave1760
Aspirant

connection issues with rbr750

I'm using the orbi RBR750 with 2 satellites and I have it wired back hauled. Lately I'm having issues with my internet speed and it varies by device. It's frustrating to power cycle the router almost on a daily basis to temporarily resolve the issue.

Setup:

Router is downstairs and connected directly to the internet port (no modem)

Both satellites are upstairs

House - 3500 sq ft

On a normal day I would get speeds of 600-800 mbps. When I would run into this issue, I would see speeds below 100mbps. If I ran a speed test directly on the router then I would see 1000mbps. I'm assuming there's a connection issue specifically to the router?

Some solutions I tried:

• Power cycle router (this only solves it for the day and the issue will occur the next day)
  • Power cycle router & satellites (this only solves it for the day and the issue will occur the next day)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: connection issues with rbr750

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

For that size of home, only one RBS would be needed. Regardless if wired or wireless. 

https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

What CAT# lan cabling are you using between the RBR and ISP modem/ONT and RBS? CAT6 is recommended. 

Are the RBS directly connected to the BACK of the RBR or is there any LAN switch or patch panel in between? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Have any of these been enabled? Armor, Access Controls, Parental Controls, or Traffic Meter.

Message 2 of 7
stevedante
Aspirant

@dave1760 wrote:

I'm using the orbi RBR750 with 2 satellites and I have it wired back hauled. Lately I'm having issues with my internet speed and it varies by device. It's frustrating to power cycle the router almost on a daily basis to temporarily resolve the issue.

Setup:

Router is downstairs and connected directly to the internet port (no modem)

Both satellites are upstairs

House - 3500 sq ft

On a normal day I would get speeds of 600-800 mbps. When I would run into this issue, I would see speeds below 100mbps. If I ran a speed test directly on the router then I would see 1000mbps. I'm assuming there's a connection issue specifically to the router?

Some solutions I tried:

• Power cycle router (this only solves it for the day and the issue will occur the next day)
  • Power cycle router & satellites (this only solves it for the day and the issue will occur the next day)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is you software is working fine, Means Is your router firmware is good and up-do-date? I facing same issue but my firmware is need to be updated.

Message 3 of 7
dave1760
Aspirant

I'm using the latest firmware v4.6.8.2

I'm not using a modem as the internet line is connected from the street into my house. My ISP is ziply fiber.

The distance between RBR to my 2 RBS is roughly 30 feet or more. The RBR is located at downstairs in the middle of the house. My RBS is located upstairs at each end of the house. You can say it's diagonally from the RBR.

My house is wired with cat 6 cables and I'm also using them to connect from the wall outlet to each RBS and RBR. Each RBS is directly connected to the RBR and I'm not using a LAN switch or patch panel. My channels are AUTO for 2.4Ghz and 40 for 5Ghz

There's currently 8 wifi neighbor networks within my area.

All of the listed features are turned off:  Armor, Access Controls, Parental Controls, or Traffic Meter.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting 2.4Ghz channel to 1. 

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@dave1760 wrote:

I'm using the latest firmware v4.6.8.2

I'm not using a modem as the internet line is connected from the street into my house. My ISP is ziply fiber.

The distance between RBR to my 2 RBS is roughly 30 feet or more. The RBR is located at downstairs in the middle of the house. My RBS is located upstairs at each end of the house. You can say it's diagonally from the RBR.

My house is wired with cat 6 cables and I'm also using them to connect from the wall outlet to each RBS and RBR. Each RBS is directly connected to the RBR and I'm not using a LAN switch or patch panel. My channels are AUTO for 2.4Ghz and 40 for 5Ghz

There's currently 8 wifi neighbor networks within my area.

All of the listed features are turned off:  Armor, Access Controls, Parental Controls, or Traffic Meter.

Message 5 of 7
dave1760
Aspirant

Tried the suggested solution and issue is still happening. Was on a video call for an hour today and my device disconnected 5 times. My wife is also having trouble with her laptop as well so I'm sure the issue isn't with our devices. My orbi is a little over a year old and don't think it's time for an upgrade.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF both RBS. See if by connecting to the RBR alone, does the problem still happen? 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7