Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

greyed out DNS in web app

daledx00
Aspirant

greyed out DNS in web app

Hi. I have the below Orbi 6 and suddenly the "Use These DNS Servers" option under "Domain Name Server Address" option is greyed out, even though I have been using public DNS servers through this interface for years. It appears that I am now being forced to use Comcast's DNS servers ("Get Automatically from ISP" cannot be unselected). I prefer to use public DNS servers. How can I get back the ability to add custom DNS lookup for my Orbi? Thanks

Hardware VersionRBR850

Firmware VersionV4.6.8.2_2.1.9
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: greyed out DNS in web app

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is Armor or SPC enabled on the RBR thru the Orbi app? 

Message 2 of 15
daledx00
Aspirant

The Orbi is connected to a Netgear CM1150V. Armor is active (it has been for a long time) and Parental Controls is off.

Message 3 of 15
daledx00
Aspirant

screenshot attached - you can see the DNS options are greyed out and Comcast's DNS servers are in there.NETGEAR-Router-Orbi.png

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable Armor? 

I believe if Armor is active, it uses it's own DNS services. 

Message 5 of 15
daledx00
Aspirant

Disabling Armor has no effect. Even when Armor is active (as it has been for years) I could always use custom DNS servers before. Now whatever has changed is forcing the use of Comcast's DNS servers (I looked up the IP address and it is Comcast). Couldit be that Comcast is forcing NG to disallow non-Comcast DNS servers? I tried resetting the Orbi but no change. 

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If you disconnect the RBR from the modem, then press the reset button for 15-20 seconds then release and wire connect one wired PC to the RBR and setup the RBR from scratch, is the DNS section still grayed out? 

What browser are you using?

Message 7 of 15
daledx00
Aspirant

Yes, I tried resetting but no change. I am using Chrome beta 64. I get the same greyed out using other browsers.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you do this while the RBR  was  disconnected from the modem though?

IF this was the case and you reset the RBR, the DNS options should not be greyed out...and if you select the radio button Use These DNS address selection...

Message 9 of 15
daledx00
Aspirant

Yes, I did the reset without being connected to the modem. I understand that it should be showing the radio button as selectable but it is not.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try making the selecting using a different PC or laptop by chance? 

Powering OFF the RBR from the power adapter for 1 minute then back ON after you factory reset then try the selection?

If not, then I recommend you contact your ISP and ask them about this and ask them to see about this or make contact with NG support. Is something that should be user selectable on the router regardless. I haven't heard of a ISP doing this though I don't have XF here. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 11 of 15
daledx00
Aspirant

Same issue from a different laptop. Resets don't work. Have you seen this forced DNS behavior before? 

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't. Seems like something is locked in on the RBR or the RBR is in some bad state. 

Do you happen to have the source FW files for v.2 on hand by chance?

Message 13 of 15
daledx00
Aspirant

So I finally fixed it by downgrading the router firmware (which allowed the custom DNS) then upgrading it back to the latest version. Thank you for your help.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7