Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iOS devices experiencing issues including switching to guest network and/or going offline

AIRgauge
Aspirant

iOS devices experiencing issues including switching to guest network and/or going offline

I recently purchased the Orbi RBK852 as an upgrade from the RBR50 but have experienced numerous issues. I returned one unit as tech support recommended that as an alternative to waiting three weeks for their team to look at it, but am experiencing issues with the new one as well. One persistent issue is that my MacBook Pro switches over to the guest network on its own, and does not have the password saved so gives me an offline error. The two iPhones we have in the house frequently experience drops, very slow loading, inability to load photos, video or links, inability to access the App store, and saying they are offline. At the recommendation of tech support I have tried enabling and disabling the AX function on 2.4 and 5G, both separately and together, with no improvement. Wondering if anyone has found a fix for this or if I should just call it a day at this point and shop other brands? 

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: iOS devices experiencing issues including switching to guest network and/or going offline

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You should review the mac book networking settings and remove any Guest Network profiles that maybe there. THis is a Apple issue not a Orbi issue. WiFi devices pick and choose where they connect. I know mine does and my mac book only connects to the main SSID. I have recently enabled Guest Network and have not seen this with mine. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347.

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 5
AIRgauge
Aspirant

Re: iOS devices experiencing issues including switching to guest network and/or going offline

What Firmware version is currently loaded? V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Cisco DPC3848V - it's a modem and router in bridge mode and is the same one I used with the RBR50. We have no choice in the make or model. 

You should review the mac book networking settings and remove any Guest Network profiles that maybe there. THis is a Apple issue not a Orbi issue. WiFi devices pick and choose where they connect. I know mine does and my mac book only connects to the main SSID. I have recently enabled Guest Network and have not seen this with mine. 

I recognize that this sounds like an Apple issue. We also have two internet radios that are dropping from the wifi, each from a different manufacturer. My husband's PC is running slowly and dropping from the wifi as well. 

My phone is showing a message in the wifi settings that says the network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3200 square feet
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

They are 30 feet apart and placed on different floors of the house, with only the floor (no walls) separating them. 

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347.

Have made this change - will monitor. 

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 3 of 5
AIRgauge
Aspirant

This issue was never resolved. On the advice of the level 2 support person I finally managed to speak to, I returned the unit.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7