Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi RBK753 nightmare: extender keep getting disconnected from access point

puffo25
Aspirant

orbi RBK753 nightmare: extender keep getting disconnected from access point

Hello. I have a 200MB fiber in my home. I have a 200 square meters apartment. Few wifi access points...

I have purcheased an Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 RBK753 with 1 access point and 2 extenders. Sadly for unknown ...

I have tried several workaround like assign a static IP address to the extender. No luck. I have downgraded the firmware of Orbi to previous version. No changes (than I have reverted to latest firmware again). I have enable and disable AX (according to Netgear technical support tip), again no changes.

I am totally lost.

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you referring to the RBR as the 1 AP and the RBS as the extenders? 

200 sq meters maybe too small to have the RBR and 1 RBS all running at the same time. 
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What happens if you turn OFF both RBS and just run the RBR alone? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 13
puffo25
Aspirant

The internet provider is Telecom Italy (TIM). The hub producer is ZTE model X388. I have the latest firmware for the hub.

The router is connected via ethernet with the Orbi access point (only 1/4 feet away). Than the extenders are connected to the Orbi. They are about 40 feet away. Please note: signal is very good (!). Also according to Orbi, the coverage of my apartment is perfect since in terms of square meters this solution is optimized to 325 square meters (mine is 200!).

The firmware for my Orbi is V4.6.5.14_2.0.54.

Again I have not more than 6 visibile networks in my area and my own is the strongest and the others are quite far away and they also use a different channel.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...
https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

Also the distance between the modem and RBR should be 3 to 6 feet from each other. 

Message 4 of 13
puffo25
Aspirant

Thanks for your help but there is a BUT: I have a security alarm system in the house with video cams and sensors and everything has been connected to the TIM hub via wifi. So if I disable the wifi the house is not protected any more. Which is something I want to avoid.

Question: previously the TIM hub had both the Band Steering and the Easy Mesh enabled since the hub is also a certified 6+ device. Now I have disabled the Band Steering on the TIM hub. Maybe this will help? Shall I keep active the Easy Mesh on the TIM hub?

Also, to narrow down the problem of being disconnected all the time, I have assigned through the orbi web browser interface a reserved static IP address to my 2 extenders (thanks to Orbi technical support).

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You may have too much wifi singnals going on that is causing Noise and Interferences with the Orbi RBS. This is not recommended. 

What channels is the TIM modem using on 2.4 and 5Ghz? 

Message 6 of 13
puffo25
Aspirant

TIM hub: 13 for 2,4Ghz and 36 for 5Ghz.

Orbi: 12 for 2,4Ghz and 48 for 5Ghz.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

TIM hub: 13 for 2,4Ghz and 36 for 5Ghz.

Orbi: 1 for 2,4Ghz and 48 for 5Ghz.

Be sure the TIM hub and RBR is 3 - 6 feet away from each other. Farther the better. 

Message 8 of 13
puffo25
Aspirant

.... but I have one stupid question: 5Ghz is noticebly faster but also much less stable. Since I believe that the extender is connecting to my computer maybe (???) via 5Ghz only? or I do not know when it connect using 2,4 and when 5Ghz, maybe I could also try to disable the 5Ghz on the Orbi extender? Maybe the signal will be much more stable????

I do not think that at this point changing the wireless channel as you just suggested can change so much as there are very few SSID near by and I do not think I expereince so much massive channel traffic or confict or noise.......

Message 9 of 13
puffo25
Aspirant

Hi again, you also wrote: "Be sure the TIM hub and RBR is 3 - 6 feet away from each other. Farther the better".... but the wire that connect the Obi AP to my TIM hub is not so long (maybe only 4 feet in lenght in total), so it is IMPOSSIBLE to have the AP so far away from the hub....

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Get a longer cable? They come in many lengths...

Message 11 of 13
puffo25
Aspirant

About the idea to turn off the 5Ghz bandwith/frequency, what do you think? It is a good idea or not?

Again currently from my computer when I connect to the extender via wifi, I see only the name of the Orbi extender but do not know if I connect through the 2,4Ghz or 5Ghz...

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

5Ghz has better performances and faster connection rates. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7