Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

poor backhaul on RBS750

wifiblues
Luminary

poor backhaul on RBS750

hi all - 

why doesn't the RBK752 show up under Models - that is screwy!

why do you think the RBS750 is showing poor backhaul?  The firmware is up to date v4.

here is the situation as best as i can describe.

we live in Brooklyn NY in an apartment - the RBR750 is located in our bedroom behind the bed.  The RBS750 is about 80 feet away. 

our kids recently came home and increased the wifi needs for their devices from 8 to 15.

Do you think i need an additional satellite? 

I do not want to experiment by trying specific channels - they are currently set to auto.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: poor backhaul on RBS750

80 ft is quite a bit of distance. They need at least 30 ft between them to roam properly but 80 ft might be to much. 

You can try moving them around a little before adding more satellites. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Message 2 of 4
wifiblues
Luminary

thank you.  i will certainly experiment and move the satellite closer to the router.

Message 3 of 4
tucsontico
Virtuoso

@wifiblues wrote:

hi all - 

why doesn't the RBK752 show up under Models - that is screwy!

why do you think the RBS750 is showing poor backhaul?  The firmware is up to date v4.

here is the situation as best as i can describe.

we live in Brooklyn NY in an apartment - the RBR750 is located in our bedroom behind the bed.  The RBS750 is about 80 feet away. 

our kids recently came home and increased the wifi needs for their devices from 8 to 15.

Do you think i need an additional satellite? 

I do not want to experiment by trying specific channels - they are currently set to auto.

Any object between the router and satellite will decrease signal strength. Metal, concrete or brick structures are the most reflective/absoprtive. (Even a human standing between the router and sat will cause signal disruptions.) Try placing your router in as clear an area as possible, as high as possible. Moving the satellite just a few feet can have a tremdous impact on signal reliability. Finding an optimum location can take a few days of trial and error experimentation. If at all possible, wired backhaul will give you the best reliability and signal. (Use a Cat 6 cable for wired backhaul.) Good Luck!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7