Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Stuttered" speed with AX4200

JimC_WA
Guide

"Stuttered" speed with AX4200

I have just setup a new AX4200 system that consists of a RBR750 router (firmware: V4.6.5.14) and two satellites (RBS750; firmware V4.6.5.14).  Using the Orbi app, I am told my down and upload speeds are 51.0 and 15.1 Mbps.  However, when using the system, I note that many applications on IOS, Android and Windows 11 devices take a long time to load or respond.

Using TestMy.Net to check my internet speeds, I found that I couldn't get a result as the application just seemed to 'hang' despite the browser tab suggestion the page was 'waiting' for more data. This occurred with both my laptop and mobile phone. Interestingly, when I turned off the wifi on my mobile, and used mobile data to connect to the web, TestMy.Net reported that my data speeds were 31.1 and 2.2 Mbps for download and upload respectively.  Similarly, swapping back to my old router returned speeds of 30.0 and 11.5 Mbps.

I have done a reset on the Orbi router and satellites but the problem persists. Any advice would be much appreciated as I am rapidly becoming very disillusioned.  

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: "Stuttered" speed with AX4200

@JimC_WA wrote:

Thank you - a good question.  I am normally pretty careful updating FW so I'd like to say 'Yes', but I will try again just in case.  I assume from your your question, there is no international variation in FW ...? Not that I'm aware of. Same size fits all here. 

I should also say, that I did have a Double NAT situation with which I have now fixed and the 'stuttering' speeds we were having have stopped.  Hence the initial problem I sought help with has been solved.  That said, I am still keen to have the updated FW and will try to resolve that ASAP.

I was wondering about the double NAT thing. Glad thats resolved it. 

Hope you can get your system updated gracefully. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Armor or Smart Parental Controls enabled? 

I recommend updating the RBS first then RBR lastly to v.2: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-and-850-Series-Firmware-Versi...

Message 2 of 10
JimC_WA
Guide

Thanks for your suggestions. I am sitting about 6 feet from the router so the issue is at least with that device and certainly not a 'distance' issue. Wifi analysis shows the 5Ghz is on channel 42 with no interference from elsewhere, while the 2.4GHz is on channel 11 with any competing signals below channel 7.

Armor is on (default trial setting) but no parental controls activated.

Thanks for the firmware update details. Interestingly the Orbi app says the firmware is update but clearly there is one.  I will update later today when it doesn't interfere with my work commitments.

I should also point out that clearly the system is working as I am on the web doing this.  The problem seems to be with larger files whether images or data files rather than text-based activities.

The other tip I saw that I will do after the firmware update is to ensure I have properly bridged my modem/router. I did find these links so I explore this too:

You modem already has a built in router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Message 3 of 10
JimC_WA
Guide

Sadly, when I try to upload the FW update, I get the message "Firmware upgrade failed. Please check your file.".  

I have downloaded the zip files twice...?

Message 4 of 10
JimC_WA
Guide

Hi all

Following the advice I received to update my FW from v4.6.5.14 to v4.6.8.2 (despite my Orbi app saying there is not new update), every time I try to upload the CHK it report an error in the process and requests I check the file.

Obviously I have downloaded the file several times but is there an international variation in the FW that is the cause of this error?  

Many thanks in advance

Jim

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try MS Edge or FireFox

Message 6 of 10
JimC_WA
Guide

Thank you but I am using MS Edge....?  😞

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your uploading the right file. The RBS file is for the RBS and the RBR is for the RBR.

Message 8 of 10
JimC_WA
Guide

Thank you - a good question.  I am normally pretty careful updating FW so I'd like to say 'Yes', but I will try again just in case.  I assume from your your question, there is no international variation in FW ...?

I should also say, that I did have a Double NAT situation with which I have now fixed and the 'stuttering' speeds we were having have stopped.  Hence the initial problem I sought help with has been solved.  That said, I am still keen to have the updated FW and will try to resolve that ASAP.

Thanks for all your help.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@JimC_WA wrote:

Thank you - a good question.  I am normally pretty careful updating FW so I'd like to say 'Yes', but I will try again just in case.  I assume from your your question, there is no international variation in FW ...? Not that I'm aware of. Same size fits all here. 

I was wondering about the double NAT thing. Glad thats resolved it. 

Hope you can get your system updated gracefully. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7