Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "good" vs "poor" backhaul status

Dd852
Luminary

"good" vs "poor" backhaul status

Does anybody have any insight into how the web UI diffferentiates between "good" and "poor" backhaul status? My light shines blue on sync; the speed off the satellitre seems fine (c. 300 up down - and although I have a 1G line, I'm not fussed about a satellite at the end of a daisy chain producing 300) and yet on the web UI it switches between "good" and "poor" backhaul status. I assume it has something to do with RSSI and noise levels, but I'm intrugued that a blue light can also be "poor". (on the semi-useless mobile app it shows as green)

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

What orbi do you have? (model)

You put their daisy chaining?

It could be the satellite switching from a daisy chain connection to directly connecting to the router. 

Message 2 of 10
Dd852
Luminary

850 with two satellites. The second satellite has no possibility of connection with the router: I pick up only signal traces from the hidden channel with a sniffer. It connects to satellite one which itself has a good 5gHz connection to the router. 

Satellitre two glows blue on setup and much of the time appears as "good" but sometimes appears only as "poor". Yet devices connected to it seem fine. 

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Dd852 wrote:

I assume it has something to do with RSSI and noise levels, but I'm intrigued that a blue light can also be "poor". (on the semi-useless mobile app it shows as green)

Unless I am mistaken, the "Blue Light" appears for only 2-3 minutes when the satellite first connects to the router, and then turns off.  Orbi systems periodically survey the network and the connection may vary over time (and be reported as 'poor', then 'good', etc.) The light will not come back on unless the connection fails completely (magenta).

Technical details would be fascinating to know, but my guess is that whichever engineer inside the company actually knows them is not likely to share them.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 10
Dd852
Luminary

@crim this makes a lot of sense. There must be some wavering in the signal due to ... whatever interferes with 5gHz that's just enough to periodically knock it into "poor" but not bad enough to break the link. I do wish Netgear was more forthcming with data - it would be great to actually see an RSSI reading rather than a vague term of "good" or "poor" - but I suppose this is the price one pays for being a "copnsumer" product rather than a "semi-pro"

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 7 of 10
Dd852
Luminary

Yeah I know - it is not about size but an issue of very thick walls and weird corners that create funny dead areas. Wiring would be the best answer but that has been vetoed by the partner with the deciding vote
Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

You could use powerline or moca (ethernet over coax) as a wired backhaul. 

Message 9 of 10
Dd852
Luminary

Thanks. I'll investigate Moca. I found powerline not a good solution, or at least having one satellite powerlined and one on wirless backhaul wan't - mobile phones got knocked consistently offline going from one zone to another (I suspect some kind of weird mis-match in the communication back to the router)

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7