Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rbk852 install

Jroach
Luminary

rbk852 install

After wrestling with my RBK50 I decided to toss it and start fresh.  Brought it home and couldn't get it to install using the IOS app.  Got stuck after entering my SSID in the setup process.  Orbi seemed to be confused between the ORBI ssid and my SSID I had just entered into the setp app.  Ended up attaching it to my laptop directly to get through it but....  This has me concerned.  I just read a thourough review from "dave" on amazon.  He chronicles his journey and ends up putting it up for sale after a year.  179 people found his review helpful.  I was thinking of sending a note to na NG exec but I'm not certain what to say.  Everybody keeps pointing to firmware.  

Any specific thoughts on what to say would be appreciated (nothing snarky please).  Often execs don't know why people are leaving until its too late.

Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

So after you connected your Laptop to the RBR, were you able to complete the setup process on the laptop? 

What FW version came loaded on your RBR and RBS? 

We've seen odd problems with the Orbi app. There is a separate forum for the Orbi app:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

I believe you may see similar posts there as well. 

Initially I had set mine up using the app for testing purposes. I didn't have a problem back then. However since there, there have been many updates to both app and FW. Be sure that your mobile device is connected to the wifi system and even if you changed the SSID name during the setup, make sure the mobile device is connected to the new SSID name. 

I prefer to set up the Orbi AX system using a PC or laptop. Once it's all setup and working well. Then connect the Orbi app. 

Message 2 of 19
Jroach
Luminary

@FURRYe38

I left the FW alone for now.  In case I end up keeping Orbi nad oer the advice of many on the forums I don't want to introduce variables until its stable.  I'll track this closely to see how long I can go w/o rebooting.  Maybe after a month or two I'll update the FW.  Currently on 3.2.16.6.

What concerns me most is the amount of posts where it appears that NTGR's customers are unkowingly beta testers.  My issues are small/annoying but when I read of parents trying to keep kids online and having to battle router problems...wow.  I was reading where a couple is trying to keep parents online remotely and working through the "DST" mess...imagine trying to troubleshoot Orbi remotely with people that are over 90! 

FW issue with my RBR50, little website issues (no drop down for RBK852, sort feature on the forum is wonky with certain browsers), absence of moderators, setup issues using the Orbi app...  My recommendation for NTGR would be to focus on stability and to slow down the release and addition of features.  I understand that features sell but stability and service builds loyalty.  

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok sounds good. Ya if it works, don't fix it. 

Ya there was a big storm of the DST/NTP and DNS yesterday. Seems that was mostly solved by the DST setting. I did notice that I saw the DNS error on my Orbi AX. First time ever since I had mine online. I did find DST disabled which I thought was odd that I always have that enabled for mine. After re-enabled it, have not see any DNS errors since. Is as odd thing. After 30+ days on good online operation, we had a power bump here the other day so my date running is reset. Poor me. Smiley Wink

I agree, you want to ensure things are working with out any problems for the elderly. I hope you have someone around there though in case someting does happen that can help if needed. Hopefully nothing goes wrong. 

Message 4 of 19
Jroach
Luminary

unfortunately I'm already faced with little issues: two cameras won't connect anymore, tablo won't connect anymore, etc.  Satellite showed as disconnected so had to sync (failed) then had to reboot.  First reboot in less than 24hrs :(.  I'll give it two more and then back to Best Buys.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try changing CTS to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 6 of 19
Jroach
Luminary

Thanks.  I had and also reduced 2.4 to 25% as they were setting in my old Orbi that were tweaked for Tablo.  

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

That help everything out? 

Message 8 of 19
Jroach
Luminary

Nope.  Two cameras offline, Tablo still not connected, VNC/Screenshare is also taking a long time to connect and quirky, icons seem to changing for some device in the "attached device" list, and more.  

I'm going to give a few hours for the folks to get back to me regarding the orphaned devices (maybe FW in those devices or who knows).  If I'm still having issues later today I'll put the RBK50 back in and return the RBK852.

Any suggestion on alternatives to NTGR routers?

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try v12 FW as last resort. 

Coulld be some of those devices are not fully capable. 

You can disable AX mode on 2.4Ghz radio and see if this helps any. 

Might review ASUS MESH or D-Link. I can't recommend TP-Link. 

Message 10 of 19
Jroach
Luminary

Thanks.

When you say they migh not be fully capable...  I thought the 852 was backwards compatable to the RBK50.  Am I wrong in that assumption?

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Actually RBK50 or the RBS50 satellites are not wirelessly compatible with any Orbi AX. Was asked a long time about this, if NG was going to make them compatible, however seems that NG isn't going or hasn't followed up. 

Most other devices, wireless and IoT are compatible with Orbi AX however we've seen odd problems here and there getting some devices to connect. Some like Googles pad saw problems connecting last year. One user said that he was able to get them to connect if he disabled AX mode on the RBR. NG is using a new value for the CTS setting on Orbi AX systems. No idea why they went to 64 down from 2347. This has also casues some problems with some devices, not all. I have been using 64 for a while now and all my cameras do connect and with AX mode enabled. Cameras of updated FW as well. 

The WiFi 6 standard has not been fully certified, nor has 6E. There still in draft currently. So anything is possible when it comes to compatibity with all the multitudes of devices out there today. 

Message 12 of 19
Jroach
Luminary

Furrye38,

Thanks.  you confirmed for me that this RBK852 is out of my ability to install...too many setting that have to be tweaked and re-tweaked to get it to work.  Plus,  it sounds like per your reply that I might have devices that are not compatible with the RBK852 and would need to replace them which is not an option.

I'll return the RBK852 and reinstall my old RBK50 until I figure this out.

Have you used any of the coax style repeaters (I forgot the acronym).  I'm wondering if a simple non-mesh router and one of the coax devices in the far end of the house would be a good solution.  

Message 13 of 19
Jroach
Luminary

one more item.  you had suggested going to .12 but what Orbi presents is 16.22.  I'm assuming you meant 17.12 and if so I wonder why NTGR doesn't keep the FW available to DL current.  

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

MOCA? No.

Power Line devices may be reviewed as well. 

Sorry it didn't work out for you. 

Message 15 of 19
Jroach
Luminary

BTW, I tried upgrading the FW for giggles.  I was able to update the RBR but RBS (manual update to 17.12) "failed to update".  

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

v12 wasn't put up on NGs auto update services. NG only intended it for manual download. 

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBS still connected and online? If it is, log into the RBS web page and send the RBS FW file there. Be sure your using the RBS FW file, not the RBR. 

I forgot to tell you that you need to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly...

Message 18 of 19
Jroach
Luminary

I had recalled that trick a few years back on my old Orbi and was able to update it.  Still having Tablo and camera connection issues.  Waiting a few more hours for those brands to get back to me.  

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7