Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rbr750 won't allow my 2.4ghz gadgets to connect - annoyed - help?

bigbusa
Follower

rbr750 won't allow my 2.4ghz gadgets to connect - annoyed - help?

Orbi has worked well for whole house wifi coverage but it's been a royal PITA for my 2.4ghz cameras. I have a ring doorbell that won't connect well enough to allow "live view".  I called RING and they were of no help. 

I have 3 "icsee" PTZ cameras that ONLY work on 2.4ghz and will not connect to 5ghz that orbi seems to ONLY provide. When trying to re-set up the cameras, the camera app specifically says it ONLY workswith 2.4 and tells me I can go to my wifi settings in my phone and change it from 5ghz to 2.4. However, when I try this, it does show that my phone is on 5ghz BUT it will not allow me to change it to 2.4. 

I'm not a techie. I'm 54 years old. I want to plug things in and have them just work. LOL They worked FINE until I switched my router to an orbi. Now all of my security cameras won't connect. I have great whole house wifi coverage but half my things don't work anymore. 😠 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@bigbusa wrote:

Orbi has worked well for whole house wifi coverage but it's been a royal PITA for my 2.4ghz cameras. I have a ring doorbell that won't connect well enough to allow "live view".  I called RING and they were of no help. 

I have 3 "icsee" PTZ cameras that ONLY work on 2.4ghz and will not connect to 5ghz that orbi seems to ONLY provide. When trying to re-set up the cameras, the camera app specifically says it ONLY workswith 2.4 and tells me I can go to my wifi settings in my phone and change it from 5ghz to 2.4. However, when I try this, it does show that my phone is on 5ghz BUT it will not allow me to change it to 2.4. 

Although it is no consolation, it is not the Orbi that is blocking these cameras.  It is the camera smartphone app.

Orbi provides the same WiFi name (SSID) on both 2.4G and 5G channels.

Frankly, I am really surprised that a camera will be causing this problem.  All of the cameras I have configured with a smartphone app have created a QR code that the camera looks at and learns the WiFi SSID and password.

All of my IoT problems have been with devices which have no method to enter anything. *no keyboard, no camera, no bluetooth)

What happens when you just ignore the constant warnings and keep going?

Message 3 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

It won't help with setup apps that require 2.4Ghz, but to improve compatibility of your new AX system with older 2.4 wireless devices try these settings that worked for me:

1. Go to orbilogin.com in a web browser to access the Orbi admin site, Advanced tab,  Advanced / Wireless Settings.  Set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.
  2. If that doesn't solve your compatibility issues then in Advanced tab, Setup / Wireless Setup, uncheck AX Mode for 2.4Ghz band (only).

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@bigbusa wrote:

I'm not a techie. I'm 54 years old. I want to plug things in and have them just work. LOL They worked FINE until I switched my router to an orbi. Now all of my security cameras won't connect. I have great whole house wifi coverage but half my things don't work anymore. 😠 

Message 5 of 7
Macrich
Tutor

I had the same problem setting up security cameras with Orbi. What worked was turning off 5GHz radio until they were set up, then turning it back on. To do this log into your Orbi at orbilogin.com and go to Basic, Wireless and toggle off 5 GHz.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Something that isn't supported on Orbi AX. 

@Macrich wrote:

I had the same problem setting up security cameras with Orbi. What worked was turning off 5GHz radio until they were set up, then turning it back on. To do this log into your Orbi at orbilogin.com and go to Basic, Wireless and toggle off 5 GHz.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7