Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

replacing my old router with new Orbi RBK853

lbelardinelli
Aspirant

replacing my old router with new Orbi RBK853

I am looking for recommendations on replacing my old netgear router and 24 port netgear switch with new Orbi RBK853 but using the same switch. My system is complicated (to me). I have 15 devices (computers, TVs, stereo amp, etc) with fixed IP address that are hard wired thru my switch. I have another 4 devices that have fixed IP addresses and are wireless. I also have 35 smart home devices with DHCP assigned (non fixed addresses). I do keep a record on all my attachemnts to my router andswitdh.

I have just pruchased the new Orbi RBK853 system but before I start replacing my old router, I wanted to get some suggustions on how to start. 1) Should I hard wire the 3 Orbi units together? (I can do that because the entire home/office is wired) or do I just let them go wireless? 2) SHould I use my old router IP address of 172.16..... or use a different one. 3) Will my wireless devices find the new router DHCP server and then I would just start fixing the other devices?

Any help would be appreciated? I cant seem to find any recommendation anywhere about hard wiring the Orbis together vs not doing it!!!

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: replacing my old router with new Orbi RBK853

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

IF your going to ethernet connect RBS, here is the configuration thats needed:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

You can use same LAN IP address scheme if you like. Also use same wifi SSID name and PW is recommended.

Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@lbelardinelli wrote:

1) Should I hard wire the 3 Orbi units together? (I can do that because the entire home/office is wired) or do I just let them go wireless?

If you have the possibility to use wired backhaul then I would go for that. Wired is always more reliable than wireless, I think! 🙂

@lbelardinelli wrote:

2) SHould I use my old router IP address of 172.16..... or use a different one. A

Up to you, you can still use the old IP range if you would like to keep the same old records.

@lbelardinelli wrote:

3) Will my wireless devices find the new router DHCP server and then I would just start fixing the other devices?

If you use the same SSID and password then the old devices will automatically find the new router and use the DHCP for IP access.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progess on this? 

@lbelardinelli wrote:

I am looking for recommendations on replacing my old netgear router and 24 port netgear switch with new Orbi RBK853 but using the same switch. My system is complicated (to me). I have 15 devices (computers, TVs, stereo amp, etc) with fixed IP address that are hard wired thru my switch. I have another 4 devices that have fixed IP addresses and are wireless. I also have 35 smart home devices with DHCP assigned (non fixed addresses). I do keep a record on all my attachemnts to my router andswitdh.

I have just pruchased the new Orbi RBK853 system but before I start replacing my old router, I wanted to get some suggustions on how to start. 1) Should I hard wire the 3 Orbi units together? (I can do that because the entire home/office is wired) or do I just let them go wireless? 2) SHould I use my old router IP address of 172.16..... or use a different one. 3) Will my wireless devices find the new router DHCP server and then I would just start fixing the other devices?

Any help would be appreciated? I cant seem to find any recommendation anywhere about hard wiring the Orbis together vs not doing it!!!

Message 4 of 7
lbelardinelli
Aspirant

I havent impliminated the change yet. The Orbi JUST arrived and now I decided that I would also replace my old switch. I have a 8 year old fs726TP and I decided to get a new GS324TP. Once it arrives, probably next week, I will start my changeover. I dont look forward to it with around 18 fixed IP devices and 55 or so Smart home devices (They run my whole life - Hot water tank temp, house temp, pool temp jacuzzi temp, My solar panels, 6 computers, 3 TVs and I can go on).

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is your currennt DHCP configuration and pool size that you use? 

Be sure that you disable any and all IGMP protocols on the new switch if you connect the RBS via ethernet to this switch. I don't see any green ethernet features on this new switch so you should ok there. 

Message 6 of 7
lbelardinelli
Aspirant

My IP conig on my present system router is:

Router: 172.16.0.1

Fixed device asignments: are 0.2 thru 0.49

Dhcp range 0.50 thru 0.200

(NOTE: MY HOUSE IS WIRED FOR 20 IP ports)

Hard wired devices  with Fixed IPs are:

1 switch (now a Netgear FS726TP but will be a Netgear GS324TP)

5 computers

2 TVs

1 Stereo AMP

1 VOIP system

2 Printers

Wifi Devices with fixed IP

1 Solar controller

1 HVAC controller

1 Pool/spa controller

1 weather station

1 Awning controller

1 Garage door controller