Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: robi 753 router in AP mode connected to a GBE switch

snakeking2
Aspirant

robi 753 router in AP mode connected to a GBE switch

this seems like a supported method - modem router to a GBE switch and the Orbi conected to one of hte ports of the Gbe switch.

used on this manner the speedtest function within the orbi app does not work - it say no connection while the Speedtest IOS app works just fine and i have connections to the wifi clients on the ORbi.  

further in this mode with the XFi wifi also working i keep seeing in the connected devices on the XFI network whow up as wired devices on the orbi

any ideas?

i also had a support person tell me that the Orbi cannot be connected to the port of a GBe switch but must be connected directly to the modem router ethernet port? anyone can corroborate that?

thanks for any and all help!!

best

NM

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway are you using? 

What switch are you using? 

Is your orbi the RBk753?

How exactly is it wired:  

for example:   modem model*---->switch----->router?

Message 2 of 8
snakeking2
Aspirant

Thank you!
So the topology is xfinity arris 1862L modem router connected to a 16 port TrendNet unmanaged Gbe switch. That switch is connected to rj45s thru out the house and the Orbi753 router is connected to the switch in the study.
Message 3 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@snakeking2 wrote:
Thank you!
So the topology is xfinity arris 1862L modem router connected to a 16 port TrendNet unmanaged Gbe switch. That switch is connected to rj45s thru out the house and the Orbi753 router is connected to the switch in the study.

Sometimes having a switch between the ISP modem and Orbi causes issues. You are better off connecting the orbi directly to your Arris modem/router, then the switch. Then if you have satellites you can connect them to the switch. 

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd agree with what @Mstrbig says and going 

modem/gateway-----orbi router---switch---satellites. 

I've done it both ways. (modem/router----switch----orbi router)

|

Satellites

the only time I've found that everything works fine is if the satellites are all wireless. If they're not, then you need the switch after the orbi router for the app/connected devices lists to function properly

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 8
snakeking2
Aspirant

Thank you all. Was educational. So will attempt to wire orbi between xfinity modem router and switch. Indeed it’s a Gbe switch.
Now it’s interesting to know that backhail could be GBe or WiFi. And down link? Ie Does the satellite still need to be within “blue light Distance “ from the orbi router AP or no?

Latest anyone have experience running to WiFi’s since Xfinity apparently does NOT allow
Me to turn off their WiFi! 😡 so then while I’ll rename the ssid I suspect there will still be interference from that to the orbi net
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

When ethernet connected the up and downlink data is passed over the ethernet wire connection. 

No you can have the RBS out at a much greater distance from the RBR as the connection is wired which no long depends on distance in between. Only the length of the wire will determine the distance. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7