Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

what do Internet Connected and Time Sync msgs in pairs mean?

donawalt
Virtuoso

what do Internet Connected and Time Sync msgs in pairs mean?

I have an RBR850 and 2 RBS850s with wired backhaul.  This weekend I noticed my router time was off an hour -- I did not have the DST check box selected. So I did that. Today, I was looking at the log to see if there is anything unusual, and in the last 8 hours (since I cleared the log) there are 10 sets of these message pairs:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Tuesday, Aug 16,2022 14:02:22
[Internet connected] IP address: xx.yy.zzz.aaaa, Tuesday, Aug 16,2022 14:02:22

They seem on a schedule, but not a consistent one. Here are the times of the "Internet connected" messages today:

7:02 AM

8:02

8:32

9:32

10:02

11:02

11:32

12:32 PM

1:32

2:02

Is this a router restart or just the way it logs a periodic time sync? Is it normal? Thanks!

EDIT: Actually I can answer part of my question, there are no restarts as the RBR and 2 RBSs all have uptime of over 3 days (I power cycled everything this weekend). Is it losing internet connection on a regular basis? I am curious what this is though! Thanks!

EDIT 2: I suspected the next set of these messages would be at 3:02:22 PM,So from 3:01 to 3:03 I was running internet speed tests. Sure enough I checked the log and there were two new messages for that time. IAs for the speed test, all ran fine, so there is not any disconnect.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Re: what do Internet Connected and Time Sync msgs in pairs mean?

@donawalt 

DHCP lease renewals start trying at 1/2 the lease time (or so I've been told).   So two hour lease time could renew as early as 1 hr.

For me, I get a 24 hour lease, and I'm pretty consistent at 12 hr DHCP requests from the WAN.

I've also seen on occasion when I get a different server in the pool at the ISP (Charter) that has lease time set to 1 hour or 2 hours instead of 24 hours and it hits them occasionally, then ultimate goes back to the 24 hr lease.

As long as you are not seeing disconnects, then it's just normal activity.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@donawalt 

That usually corresponds with a lease renewal from the ISP.   Everytime the lease is renewed, the Time is synchronized as well.

You can look at your lease time by clicking on the Advanced Tab in the WebUI Admin page, then in the Internet Port box, click on COnnection Status.

It is unusual for them to change time (minute wise) -  mine are pretty consistent.   However, I believe you are still doing IPV6 stuff, so wondering if maybe it is getting a change in time if it loses IPV6 and reconnects via IPV4.   (Just a guess here).

If it continues to be at wonky times (not a consistent hourly or 12 hour or whatever), it could actually be showing a disconnect/reconnect from the router to the modem/ISP.   But I would think you would see an "Internet Disconnected" message then as well.

Message 2 of 5
donawalt
Virtuoso

Thanks @TC_in_Montana . To comment on your points/suggestions:

- I don't think I have lost internet connection, I added above in an edit, I was doing constant speed tests through one of the logged times, plus I have had no indication of it otherwise. RBR log only has DHCP messages otherwise, no other types of messages are showing in there.

- I think IPv6 has been fine for about 3 days this last iteration, but I guess it's possible a particular device could be having trouble with IPv6?

- My lease is apparently 2 hours. I don't see a consistent 2 hour log entry in my example above though. Maybe it's been varying for some reason? My modem logs look fine, only notice messages no errors, critical etc.  Speeds fine too.

- Just for grins, I disabled IPv6 - t see if the log messages change or reduce. I am suspicious....I'll report back.

Message 3 of 5
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@donawalt 

DHCP lease renewals start trying at 1/2 the lease time (or so I've been told).   So two hour lease time could renew as early as 1 hr.

For me, I get a 24 hour lease, and I'm pretty consistent at 12 hr DHCP requests from the WAN.

I've also seen on occasion when I get a different server in the pool at the ISP (Charter) that has lease time set to 1 hour or 2 hours instead of 24 hours and it hits them occasionally, then ultimate goes back to the 24 hr lease.

As long as you are not seeing disconnects, then it's just normal activity.

Message 4 of 5
donawalt
Virtuoso

Thanks @TC_in_Montana , makes sense! 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7